Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabetheva_gw

How to choose interior shutters

elizabetheva
9 years ago

We are in the beginning process of building a house and are planning on interior shutters on the windows. The shutters in our current home are terrible quality, they were here prior, and I would like to avoid the same problems, so I thought I'd check to see if I could get some info from everyone about what's important to look for, and how much the type of windows impacts the performance of the shutters.

The problems with our current shutters include the trim coming apart at the mitered corners, they never, ever stay closed (I finally figured out how to use tape and sticky tack to keep them shut, and it stays hidden as long as they're closed, but it means most of the time our shutters are closed). They are wood, but I'm sure they're the bottom of the line wood shutters. I have lots of questions, so thanks in advance for your advice!

I think a lot of our problems with them are because we live in Utah, and the temperatures changes are drastic from winter to summer, and these are not built to withstand those changes. If we go with wood, what should I look for to make sure they function properly all season?

I'm also wondering if wood is really the best choice for us anyway - I'm planning to go with white, so is a different material better? Do faux wood blinds look cheap?

How much do the type of windows impact the shutters functioning? For instance, if our current windows were more efficient, would it make a difference in the way the wood trim has slowly pulled apart? I guess I'm also asking, if we have more efficient windows in our new home, is it possible a shutter that isn't top of the line might work better than it does in a less efficient window?

thanks for your help!

Comment (1)