Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c9pilot

Need help with awning windows

c9pilot
12 years ago

New to this forum, but looking to replace our old leaky aluminum Miami-style windows with energy efficient awning windows. (Nobody makes Miami-style or aluminum awning anymore.)

Have found it difficult to find awning, and on top of that, lots of pressure to get impact (we plan to use aluminum shutters that don't shatter).

One problem is a pair of 18" wide windows in my bedroom that are about 74" tall (5-panel Miami currently). Would like to put a fixed (picture) window on the bottom and awning upper half or so because I don't like the opening nearly on the ground.

Looking for any help or advice or recommendations.

Only one local manufacturing company makes an 18" wide awning (everyone else min is 20") but Atlantic Vinyl Windows has some pretty bad BBB issues.

So I've had a quote from Silverline for about $3K and another quote for about $6K which is an eyebrow-raising difference. (Quotes do not include the narrow windows, where I've decided the option is fixed below and casement upper) And the reviews for Silverline on the net are pretty bad, but older. Has Anderson fixed the brand yet? How can a quote be DOUBLE?

Also quote from Simonton installer for around $9K which includes the narrow window option (2 openings; 4 windows).

Comments (8)

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I should mention that the Atlantic quote was around $5.5K which includes the narrow windows as mentioned.

And this is Florida, if that wasn't obvious.

And I already checked with the city, egress is not a problem because I'm not making it worse.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

What model Silverline?

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Silver line 7400 Replacment Awning Window

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

I find it interesting that someone said Simonton makes an 18" wide awning window as their book states that 20" is the minimum.

As far as pricing, you will find that different companies sell the same product at different prices that are all over the place. Example, a Silverline 20" x 74" triple awning with a picture window at the bottom (tempered assuming it is less than 18" off the ground) I would sell at about $366.

Simonton somewere around $902

Casment on the top and picture on the bottom is a nice way to go.

As far as quality, one of the biggest problems with Silverline is that they sell to anyone, so you get a lot of windows installed by terrible installers and they leak. Although I will say PGT is my prefered window, they do not make an awning window.

-Andrew

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

I would also lean more towards a PGT or Simonton offering well before the Silverline option.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

PGT doesn't offer awning windows, but Simontons are nice, and PGT's Casements are very well built.

• c9pilot
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update:
    We've dismissed the Silverline and the local manufacturer, and are now looking at just the Simonton windows since PGT doesn't do awning and Marvin is wood.

I need to look up the specs, but there's a coastal window that my DH is interested in, or maybe the 6500 platinum windows. We got two quotes for Reflections windows, around $7K and around $9K installed.

These include, for those long skinny windows, a picture window below and a casement above.

This is harder than I thought it would be - so many option with the glass! Can't say that we're comparing apples to apples.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

You will be with your windows for a long time. Do the research and pick the best ones that you like.