Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding a sill and trim...

Posted by rivkadr (My Page) on
Tue, May 11, 10 at 16:35

I have a 50's California bungalow; it's largely lacking in those little details that make a house have some character/charm, and I personally feel that one of those things that is missing is trim around the windows. They're basically just holes cut out of the wall -- no sill, no trim. Currently the windows are vinyl (and are going to stay that way; we can't afford to replace them right now, and they're relatively new), which I would imagine are replacements for the original aluminum windows that some of the houses in the neighborhood still have.

So my question: is it possible to add a sill and trim to this kind of window? I have no idea what the jambs are made of -- they've been painted to be the same color as the walls. But is it possible to put a sill on top of the bottom jamb, and then trim around the window, and paint appropriately? Or would it just look tacky?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding a sill and trim...

I'm not sure I understand what you're describing - but I'll try... When I had my house resided the contractor built faux sills under the awning windows to match those on the original double hung windows. And they put trim around to match also. Looks nice to me.

Don't your windows stick out slightly from the outside wall?

o
RE: Adding a sill and trim...

You're asking about an interior trim and sill? Yes, you can absolutely add that. A few options would be to add the window casing on all sides of the window, including the bottom (ie, do not install a sill. I've seen this once with stnd / plan 1x4 and it looked surprising well. THe other thing you can do while triming out your window is to trim out what you're referring to as the jamb. This will frame out your window very nicely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here