Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rkb21_gw

Finally made a decision on our windows!

rkb21
10 years ago

I know that this is long overdue, but I actually just ordered the windows this week. We were focused more on the kitchen remodel for a while there.

I want to thank ALL of you that really helped me answer questions and help me make sense of the world of windows!

Marvin and Andersen were initially very close in their estimates, so we were ready to go with Marvin bc of their great reputation. Then, the rep came out again and said that after remeasuring, they would have to do custom sizes and the price different became much greater. Marvin ended up being almost 30% higher than the Andersen quote.

We ended up with Andersen, E series. The windows seem nice and we are getting the french sliders.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes with the install. The company states that they have 2 crews exclusively and the installers have been installing for them for 10 or more years. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again for everyone's input!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Initial thread with window discussion

Comments (4)

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

That price increase is quite dramatic!... The Marvin is my favorite, but the Andersen E series is a solid choice. It should serve you well :)

• rkb21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Homesealed: Thanks for all of your help during this process. I'm hoping that the install goes well.

Any recommendations on things to make sure about before/during the install when it happens [probably not for another 6wks or so]?

• Tim
    10 years ago

Take lots of pictures before and especially during the installation. Educate yourself on how you feel it should be done, and be very clear on EXACTLY what to expect from your installer.

I just went through a brick-to-brick install of 19 Andersen A Series double hungs and it was pretty involved. I had to step in a number of times to make sure things were done to my satisfaction.

I took as many pics as I could as they worked so I had a record of what was done, and what ultimately gets hidden under trim etc.

If you're doing inserts, then it's not quite as complicated as ripping out 100 year old wood windows from a solid brick home with lathe and plaster walls under drywall, but still, make sure you know to the finest detail what to expect.

• rkb21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TorontoTim: thanks for the advice. Even with the kitchen, I've been taking pictures everyday just to make sure everything is getting done and inspecting everything.

We are doing inserts for the windows and tear outs for the patio doors/transoms. I guess it's hard to know if they're doing it correctly if I don't know what to look for. I guess it's time for more research!

Thanks and if anyone else has advice on what to look out for, please feel free to chime in :)