Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gaps between exterior window and trim

Posted by lst12345 (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 16:28

Hi, can someone answer a question for me? We had all new windows installed in our home, and others added to a new structure. On most of the windows (including the new construction) there is a gap, from about 1/16th to over 1/8th of an inch between the window frame and the trim boards all the way around the window. My contractor says this is a normal installation and they do not caulk the gap. I say the gap will attract dirt, water and insects if not caulked. Who's right here? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gaps between exterior window and trim

Sounds like from your description that you are correct. In addition to the problems you mentioned, there is also the possibility of air infiltration and water penetration. What reason did he give you for not caulking? Did he install any kind of insulation in the gap?

o

Thank you for your input. He says it will be harder for the painter to paint around the windows. He says they never caulk these gaps and "it will be fine." There is nothing installed in these gaps, other than the water resistant plastic that was folded around the window opening when installed. He says it will cost us more to have the caulking done because they "don't do it that way." Any thoughts?

o

What are the windows made out of? Wood, vinyl etc.?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here