Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Simonton 5500 patio door vs Pella/Andersen

Posted by ranger481vs (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 16:16

We will be getting a new 6ft patio door as part of a remodel. The contractor is recommending Pella Proline, as they have had very good experiences with this door, as well as good customer service from their local dealer. I have read just the opposite on Pella, pretty much all over the internet on different forums.

I'm wondering whether I should choose a different door. I've read good reviews on the Simonton 5500, which would save me around $550 vs. Proline.
Andersen 200 series would only save $100, while the 400 series would cost around $500 more.

Any thoughts on these doors? Would like something that isn't drafty, as we live in Wisconsin, but this particular door will not be used much to enter or exit the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Simonton 5500 patio door vs Pella/Andersen

Personally - I wouldn't buy, much less install anything Pella in my house.

Simonton is middle of the road at best. Have you looked into the Okna or Sunrise patio doors?

o

+1

If you are okay with a vinyl door, there are far better options than Simonton.

o

Thank you.

Middle of the row, is probably what I'm looking for. Since this door will not get used much at all, I'm looking for an affordable option that is decent in quality. Pella, in general, does not have very good reviews from consumers, so that's why I'm wondering if the Simonton 5500 would be a better option. Plus, it's saves a decent chunk of money.

o

The Simonton product line is pretty solid all around.

They run a bit bulky and the air numbers are average at best but they are usually well built from a durability standpoint.

o

Check out the Sunrise Door as well as the Okna. Both are fusion welded frames. I have seen the windows in my area both a better looking that Simonton and perform better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here