Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
kitchen skylight in shade of chimney?

Posted by hapahaole76 (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 15:57

We're redoing most of our house including our 1950's galley kitchen. The kitchen runs along the north side of our house. The main window over the sink faces side side wall/fence. Our neighbor's house on that side is quite a bit higher than ours.

To get more light into the kitchen, we're thinking of installing a skylight. Because of the way the roof comes together, there's one good spot (as far as not having to mess with the roof and framing too much) to put the skylight. But that spot is right next to our big chimney. The way the sun comes over our house during throughout day, the chimney would put the skylight in the shade for most of the day. Is this bad? I know we're trying to get light... so will we not get that much or is being in the shade good so we don't have direct light pounding on us through the skylight?

Also need to figure out if I want it to open our not. I really don't want leaks, but the skylight will be rear the cooktop, so maybe it would be a good idea to help with venting and airflow?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: kitchen skylight in shade of chimney?

Solartubes have a much smaller footprint and bring in plenty of natural light. I tend to think that they are a bit hinky but they sound like they would fit your criteria.

o
RE: kitchen skylight in shade of chimney?

We actually had plans to put in a couple solatubes, but really prefer the look of a skylight. We were going to keep one solatube at the other end of the kitchen near the entrance from the garage door. We're making that area into a tiny little office area. But for the open kitchen area we decided we liked the look of a skylight better...if only we can get it to work. We're also building a roof deck and I've heard the solatube can look a little funny sticking out of the roof...so a skylight might be better to look at from the roofdeck (since we'll be looking at a lot of the rest of the roof).

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think the shade from the chimney would cut down on too much light into the skylight? Out other option is to scratch the skylight and just put in lots of canned lighting.

thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here