Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hapahaole76

kitchen skylight in shade of chimney?

hapahaole76
13 years ago

We're redoing most of our house including our 1950's galley kitchen. The kitchen runs along the north side of our house. The main window over the sink faces side side wall/fence. Our neighbor's house on that side is quite a bit higher than ours.

To get more light into the kitchen, we're thinking of installing a skylight. Because of the way the roof comes together, there's one good spot (as far as not having to mess with the roof and framing too much) to put the skylight. But that spot is right next to our big chimney. The way the sun comes over our house during throughout day, the chimney would put the skylight in the shade for most of the day. Is this bad? I know we're trying to get light... so will we not get that much or is being in the shade good so we don't have direct light pounding on us through the skylight?

Also need to figure out if I want it to open our not. I really don't want leaks, but the skylight will be rear the cooktop, so maybe it would be a good idea to help with venting and airflow?

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH