Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skylight shade issue

Posted by yramt (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 12 at 15:33

I have a skylight in my kitchen and am having trouble coming up with a shade solution. I love the light I get from it, but because I do not have central air (through the wall units), so the kitchen becomes terribly hot in the summer. My skylight is unusual (at least I think so), my ceiling is flat, not angled. The cut out is a 24" x 24" square and there's about another 24" recession before the skylight starts. The skylight itself is one of those bubble lights, so the surface isn't flat. What I've currently got in place is two tension rods with a blackout shade attached to it - it helps some, but looks pretty ugly. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg and am not really sure how else to blunt the heat; I welcome ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skylight shade issue

There are solar control films that might help with the radiant heat.

Stay with the big companies like 3M and similar.

o

You could look into getting an Aerolenz Skylight Insulation System. We were going to get them for my parent's skylights, but they ended up replacing their skylights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aerolenz

o

@Windowsionwashington: I thought about the film, but since it's not a flat surface, it didn't seem like a viable option. Can that work?

o

I don't think Aerolenz is an option since I live in a condo, but thanks for the suggestion.

o

If a professional installs it, I am sure they can wrap it on a curved surface. Most cars are curved windows and they get that stuff to lay down just fine.

What about putting the film on the flat interior?

o

I put a pleated shade on my skylights that pulled open and closed with a long hook. The have a track on both sides. They were relatively cheap and are great for keeping out heat. My sister-in-law did the same on hers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here