Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacement Windows for Oceanfront Condominium

Posted by jester22 (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 10 at 15:24

Two years ago the owners association for a condominium we own on the coast required us to replace the existing aluminum sliding double pane windows prior to January 1, 2010. They also referred members to a nearby company (a window I have never heard of before) for a quote on double pane vinyl windows which seemed, if not illegal, to have very fishy odor to it. After threat of several lawsuits they backed down on the requirement to replace the windows, but I did look very closely at my windows and noticed that the windows in both bedrooms had about an inch of water between the double panes. The units were built in 1984 and the windows in my unit were the originals. I had recently called a Pella store nearby and asked them to go by and give me a quote on replacing the existing windows with a fiberglass double pane "low e" sliding window because, even though I am a "diy er" I've never done window replacement before and I didn't want to get it wrong, especially in a coastal environment. After stumbling blindly onto this forum I'm not sure if I should proceed with Pella (I think it is a fiberglass "Impervia" window they recommended) or look elsewhere and, if so, where else do I look for a good coastal environment sliding window?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacement Windows for Oceanfront Condominium

The first thing you need to find out is if there are building codes that are going to affect your final decision. Then you are going to have to decide whether you want fiberglass, wood, vinyl, a composite or aluminum. I would assume the choice would be influenced by the HOA so you need to check with them before wasting a lot of time looking at windows. I would definitely look elsewhere. Marvin makes a much better fiberglass window than Pella.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here