Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I know if my windows have Low E glass?

Posted by frenchman (My Page) on
Fri, May 22, 09 at 15:10

Hi,

I am replacing a sliding patio door with a French door and have the choice between Low E and not Low E glass. I was going for Low E and then the door reseller said that if my other windows are not Low E I may want to get the same not Low E glass because the Low E will have a tint and it may look weird (the French door will be 4 inches away--a pillar--from a big floor to ceiling window).

There is some engraving on the glass of my window:

tempered safety glass
21 16 CFR 1201-II
2 07 1-1984

I don't see a tint but I also don't know how much it would be.

How can I find out, or at least make a decent decision re: Low E versus not. (Non Low E will also save me ~$170 at order time).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I know if my windows have Low E glass?

Hold a flame to the window in the dark and count the reflections.

The easiest is to hold a lighter (or other open flame) near the glass and look at the reflection in the window. If you have Low-E, and it is on the #2 or the inside of the exterior lite surface, then you will see three flames reflected in the glass. If you are doing this test from the inside of your house, the two "flames" farthest from you will be close together and then a space and then the third flame.
If you perform this test outside, there will be two flames close to you and then a gap and one flame further away.
The center flame will be a slightly different color than the two flames that bracket it.
It is best to do this test in the dark, although you can do it in daylight as well. It is simply easier to see it in the dark.
The middle flame will be the reflection from the Low-E coating.

o
RE: How can I know if my windows have Low E glass?

Three or four reflections? It seems that I see two sets of two flames and matchsticks. Each flame in a set is extremely close to the other one (at most a millimeter or so) and the other one is about what I'd guess the distance between the two panes of my windows are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here