Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lnia

Glass type difference- integrity

lynn
11 years ago

Hello

What is the difference between low e II w argon and loE 366 with argon? Cost? Quality?

Thank you!

Comments (22)

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    11 years ago

The 366 is much better at blocking radiant heat. Basically, the same U value but lower SHGC to be technical. Cost is minimal (between $1 and $1.50 a square foot as I remember). Quality is the same as they are both Cardinal products.

• lynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. From what I gather 366 is slightly better for slightly more.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

eastbay10 summarized it perfectly.

Glass recommendations depend on location, orientation, and customer goals.

• lynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is more info on location of home

West facing home
    4 seasons climate
    Michigan

Based on this does one make more sense for us?

• PRO
    11 years ago

Low-e 272.

• lynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks windows on washington. Why Low e II? You also mentioned "customer goals" as a consideration. Please elaborate.
    THank you.

• PRO
    11 years ago

Michigan is a heating degree dominated climate.

This being the case, Low-e 366 has a lesser SHGC and you will block some of the "free" passive solar heating you get from the sun in the winter.

Low-e 366 is more well suited for homes where the balance is more 50/50 or weighted towards the cooling season.

• lynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. Is one more expensive?

• PRO
    11 years ago

Not usually.

If anything, the Low-e 366 might be billed as a bit of a premium.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

+1 to WoW's recommendation. 366 is not ideal for a northern climate, the 272 should actually be more efficient for you despite a slightly higher u-value. Price depends on manufacturer, some are higher for one than the other depending on what is standard. I have never ordered 366 in Marvin, so I don't know whether it is higher or lower.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

I would argue to take it one step better. Specify their low e 180 on the south facing windows, low e 272 on the rest. According to my rep, 180 and 272 are the same price, 366 is slightly more. A typical window is $15-50 depending on size in 366.

• lynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the input. I have decided on the Lo E 2 glass. I was originally quoted on this glass but then window rep changed it to lo e 366 when we we're trying to bring costs down. This is counter to what the feedback has been in regards to costs (366 premium)....

• PRO
    11 years ago

Low-e 366 is more expensive about 99% of the time.

It is 3 vs. 2 coats of Low-e. Merely from the consumables aspect, there is more metal oxide in the Low-e 366 so there should be more expense. Not sure how your dealer is quoting stuff but a majority will bill the Low-e 366 is a premium, if only slight.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I had a few quotes on a wood project recently and 272 was a premium over 366 in the Windsor line... I'm not a huge fan of that window anyway, but I thought it was the craziest thing. They said it(366) was their standard offering so it was cheaper.... Or maybe my rep was just full of beans, lol.

• Trapper1
    11 years ago

366 costs more to produce, but it could be cheaper through a specific window company if they stock it as standard (major efficiency boost when it comes to IG production)

• PRO
    11 years ago

+1

Definitely more expensive from a production standpoint but if they stock a bunch of it, it will drive the cost down.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Here you are oberon, this should explain it. Apparently a new feature (found it on the computer help forum).

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture upload

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

That link doesn't explain how to upload a picture. Where can I find that info?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

actually there is a button directly above your user name when posting a follow up for uploding a picture.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Cool, I didn't see it before.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Doesn't work on an IPad. :(

• oberon476
    11 years ago

Cool and thanks!!