Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kamlee_gw

Replacing 18 windows --- Thoughts on quotes and window choices

KamLee
10 years ago

Hello all,

I'd like to replace all of our wood windows in our house. The lower portions are awning and the top portions are static. Many are non-functional (won't open), and that is my primary concern; don't think we could fit through the ones that do open in the event of an emergency. As such, I feel they need to be replaced.

I'm seeking quotes for double-hung, vinyl windows. I'd rather not have budget windows, but IâÂÂm not sure were in the spectrum of good-great my choices have fallen. The house is located in eastern Tennessee, which is the North/Central region.

Home Depot came out today and took measurements and gave a quote of $9,522 for their VantagePointe 6100 by Simonton. I assume this quote includes bare minimum features, as argon, low-E, and grids were not discussed. WasnâÂÂt real impressed with this quote as so many details were lacking. I only mention it for feedback on the window choice and benchmark quote.

LoweâÂÂs subsequently came out, measured, and provided an estimate of $8,088. The quote included the Reliabilt 3201 double-hung windows, advanced (I assume âÂÂultraâÂÂ) low-E & argon, half screens, contoured grids (I like that style), and lifetime glass breakage warranty (this was optional). The standard lifetime warranty guarantees against seal failure, material, and working parts. I like that this is transferable as lifetime if we were to ever sell.

There are not many independent window installers in my area. IâÂÂm have two additional estimates from Window World and Champion in the coming week.

Thoughts on the quote from LoweâÂÂs? Are those good windows? The quote seems fair to meâ¦but what do I know :)

Thanks!

This post was edited by KamLee on Sat, May 18, 13 at 15:04

Comments (13)

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Stay away from window world, they will be cheap but for a reason, cheaply made wimdows by Alside.
    Reliabilt by Lowes is also cheaply made as would be pella vinyl.
    Soft Lite and Sunrise Windows should be in your region. Contact them through their websites and request a dealer in your area. I would also recommend Okna Windows but i dont think they have a dealer in your area.

• KamLee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I'll look into Soft Lite and Sunrise.

Am I going about my search for independent installers wrong?
    I've just been searching the internet for "windows" in my area?
    Any tips on locating independent window installers in which I'd be able to contact some prior customers?

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Usually the higher quality brands such as sunris , soft lite, or okna will heave dealers that also do the installation. That is the best option and you are then fully covered should any warranty issue arise.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Try a more focused search like replacement windows, or window replacement ( in conjunction with your city or closest metro area). An established local company will typically offer the best combination of quality, service and price IMO.
    I agree for the most part with mmarsel's product recommendations.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a quality vinyl replacement or a quality new construction vinyl unit with the proper application from a quality installer. Old windows (generally older than 30 yrs ) that are in good are probably worth saving, anything newer not so much.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

There are excellent and poor choices in every material (vinyl, wood, etc), and there are also many circumstances where some restoration and/or new storms added to original windows is the best solution. Certainly each option has pros and cons, and each can be the "right" choice depending on circumstances.

This post was edited by HomeSealed on Mon, May 20, 13 at 10:33

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+90% of the wood windows that we see are both not worth restoring and beyond restoration.

In many instances, a newer double pane replacement (vinyl, fiberglass, wood, composite, etc) will provide you with a more useable visible glass area as well as an easier unit to operate.

• djd56
    10 years ago

I just replaced 17 windows. I agree with ruling out Window World. I got 4 estimates and went with an independent contractor and am very, very happy with the windows, the installation and the price. I didn't go with Lowes or Home Depot for estimates, but used local companies. I ended up paying less for impact resistant windows than I would have for the regular Low-E. They are Simonton windows. I didn't see your location, but these windows were installed in Central Florida.

• LoPay
    10 years ago

Did you try going to a building supply place like ABC Supply, or your local lumber yard and see what they have? Also, they might be able to recommend a good installer.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

Valid point loPay. The only thing that I'd caution is that while you more than likely can get a very good install by going that route, they typically recommend guys that sub for others or own very small companies, so future warranty service may be hard to come by as opposed to an established local window company.

• PMS11
    10 years ago

Hi KamLee, would you share any info on your experience thus far with your windows? Which did you choose? How was the install experience. We have the same two options, from HD and Lowe's...

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

While I cringe at recommending a box store (they often have a revolving door of subs due to cut-rate pay), I'd take the Simonton as the superior product option.