Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dimmer_gw

repair, replace or combo of both

dimmer
13 years ago

I am stumped on what to do with my windows. I am normally pretty decisive, but am having problems making this decision. I am renovating my 1929 home in SC, which I will probably sell within the next year (getting married and need to keep her kids in the same school district). I repaired the original wood windows on other homes I have flipped. Their efficiency is fine with the storms on, look great and will last a long time. My problem with this house is the inconsistency in window type throughout the house. I have the following:

1st floor:

5 metal casement

8 wood double hung (6 over 1)

2 wood double hung (1 over 1)

3 wood casement (front of house...gives a cottage look)

1 vinyl slider in the kitchen

2nd floor:

6 metal louvre

7 wood double hung (6 over 6)

I normally would repair the wood windows, but that still leaves me with 11 metal windows (and three different grid patterns in my wood windows). I could go in with sash packs or inserts everywhere and gain consistency, the period look and functionality. I guess I just don't like replacing old wood windows, but maybe it applies here. Maybe I should replace the metal windows with wood to gain some consistency and repair the others. With window coverings on the inside and storms on the outside, the variation in grid pattern may not be a huge deal. Anyway, any thoughts or recommendations?

Comment (1)