Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_in_austin

Aesthetics of Window Next to Sliding Door

dan_in_austin
11 years ago

We've got 3 windows in a bedroom wall that look out onto a second-story deck. We are considering replacing some or all of these windows with a sliding patio door, to give us more light and that "tree house" feeling.

The wall is only 12 feet long, and the existing windows take up about 9 feet (approximately 3 feet per window including trim). We originally considered a 9 foot sliding door, but felt like that would turn almost the enitre wall into glass, which just seemed a bit overwhelming. We settled on the idea of a 6 foot door, and just enclosing the other 3 feet.

However, one contractor suggested that we could install a 6 foot door on the right (when viewed from inside), and replace the leftmost window with one that matches the door. We like this idea, as it gives us some more light/glass, but doesn't turn the entire wall into glass (i.e., we could have furniture underneath the window).

I'm having a hard time finding a picture of a similar setup, and we're wondering how it will look. There's not going to be a lot of space/trim between the window and the sliding door frame (maybe 3 inches?). Tried to do some photoshopping, but that required so much manipulation (and skill) that I'm sure it would look nothing like the abomination that I created.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'll put up a pic of the wall if I can remember how to post a photo.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure