Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Question about Replacing Windows

I posted an inquiry yesterday, but don't see it today.

My question concerns replacement windows. I have gone through the threads and did not see anything about Champion windows. A former co-worker believes they are absolutely the best windows, but since I don't see anything about them on this board, I am not sure.

I need to replace my windows within the next few months and have started researching info. What are your thoughts and recommendations for the best windows?

Comments (14)

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

How would you define "Best"?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

The Champion window is not a bad product but I am not sure that a critical evaluation of the its performance would deem it being classified as the "best" in any category not to mention overall.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

By best, I mean quality and performance. My former co-worker said they were very expensive windows, and that he extensively researched replacement windows.

I don't want to waste my money on a product that may not be what it is cracked up to be.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

If I were a betting man, I would say that there are better windows at similar or better price point.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

Best is relative. I sell some windows that I think are "best" and better than Champion, but I'm sure some wouldn't call them that.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Would all of you mind stating what brand you believe is best, please. I can do my research and make my own decision after getting some ideas from you.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Some of the brands I would recommend looking at are made by Sunrise, Okna, Soft-lite, Gorell and Simonton. Keep in mind that these manufacturers make several windows to fit different price points, but generally they make pretty good windows comparitively.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, skydawggy. I notice you are affiliated with a compnay that sells those brands. I will look at the website.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I don't recommend them because I sell them. I sell them because I believe they are excellent products. My customers would agree.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

I don't know were you are, but here in Florida I recommend:

Gorell, PGT, Simonton & Custom Windows

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I like PGT also. We sold a lot of Spectraguard 2300's until they consolidated their operations in Florida. If it's available, it's certainly worth looking at.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much. I will research the brands mentioned here.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

I agree with Windows on Washington. In our market (DC area), there are dozens of window manufacturers available. We have factory reps. and wholesalers contacting us frequently offering incentives to carry their products. We are always happy to look at their products if we are unfamiliar with them. Most of the time we are unconvinced that their products are superior to the ones we currently carry. We accept a lot of responsibility to recommend only what we feel are the best performing products available and only products from manufacturers that have a history of consistent quality and customer service. In effect, our customers trust us to do the shopping for them. That doesn't mean we carry every top performing window out there as some aren't available to us and some, while very good products, don't fill a gap in our current offerings. They would simply replace a window brand that we have had a good experience with so we aren't willing to change.