Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl Replacement Windows - Installation Best Practices

Posted by mrmichaeljmoore (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 13:50

I am in the process of getting quotes from a variety of contractors for vinyl replaecment windows...
I have done considerable research on the different brands. But one thing that is just as important is the installation.

You can get the best windows (or anything for that matter), but if things are installed improperly, you are wasting your money....

When I have received all the estimates, I will post them here to get the pros recommendation.

So as far as installtion, what are the best practices?
Besides the standard contractor questions (how long have you been in business? references, etc.), what are some specific things I should ask or look out for in a good vinyl replacement window installation?

Thanks.
mm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl Replacement Windows - Installation Best Practices

An important aspect is understanding how they'll replace your windows. The standard practice for old double hung windows is to remove the sashes and place the new window in the old frame. If the double hungs are weighted, will they remove the weights and add insullation to the mullions? If you don't have double hungs really understand how they'll remove and the old window (is it the entire window or just the sash). You'll also want to understand how they will seal (type of caulk...you want 30 yr silicone caulk) the window and cap the exterior. Most of the big contractors have replacement windows down to a t, but the crew can make a huge difference. Get pics and refrences of jobs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here