Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suz04079

Best window for summer cottage?

suz04079
9 years ago

We're building a new cottage in Maine. I tried to photograph a plan drawing to show the style. It's almost time to choose windows. Any suggestions for best style? We will be there occasionally in the winter but not often. The house has a southern exposure and is approx 40 feet from the water.

There is a screened porch with a sleeping porch above. Any suggestions on how to be able to quickly cover the screens on the sleeping porch if it rains?
How do we cover the screens in the downstairs porch for the winter?

This is all new to me so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks-

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Cover the screens?

What do you mean by that?

• suz04079
    Original Author
    9 years ago

windows on w- I'm so sorry it took so long to get back to you. I couldn't find this post. What I meant is, being on the Maine shore, we'll need to put on storms or something to protect the screens in the winter.

On the sleeping porch above, there will be furniture (futon, etc) that would be damaged by hard rain. I saw something that has three panels of some kind of plastic, that can be lowered if it rains. The top part of the panel is stationary. E-Z something? Then there is the option of sliding window but then every window is always half covered with glass.

Any ideas? Thanks- Suz

• PRO
    9 years ago

Suz,

I am not aware of a window that offers an exterior storm like that.

• PRO
    Uneeda Home Improvement Co., Inc
    9 years ago

That's the PGT Eze-Breeze porch enclosure window you are referencing; the glazing is acrylic. Typically the four panel four track window is the most popular and gives you 75% ventilation from the window when fully opened. They offer a horizontal slider as well.

• PRO
    9 years ago

There you go then.

Thanks Bill.

• suz04079
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I emailed a link to the Eze-breeze site to my architect. He doesn't think they'll be very durable since they're vinyl. I like the idea that you can push the 3 panels up to line up with the top one or you can reverse it and have the panels all at the bottom quarter of the window.

I sent an email to Terry (?) to see if it's possible to get a sample of the two main materials. I also asked if there was a warranty. I never got a response.

Do you know of anything else? There must be some kind of storm windows for screen porches since in ME, the wind off the water can cause a lot of damage.

Thanks- Suz

• PRO
    9 years ago

Suz,

Is your Architect a materials engineer as well? What is the basis for his assertion that they won't be very durable? I am sure he knows that a majority of the impact rated (Miami Dade) windows are vinyl.

• suz04079
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am glad that our architect is trying to protect our interests. I am still interested but it makes me wary when the owner didn't respond about a warranty. I would love to find someone on the Maine coast who has them.
    If anyone knows of any product like this, I'd love to hear from them.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Suz,

I appreciate your architect trying to protect your interests and the point may be moot if they don't have a solid warranty but your architects rather blanket idea that he "doesn't think they'll be very durable since they're vinyl" is a bit broad stroke assessment.

I agree with you that you need to vet the warranty and see what they say from there.

• PRO
    9 years ago

I was a bit skeptical when I was first introduced to the product about 10 years ago but it has certainly proven itself to me over time. Durability is not an issue with the vinyl glazing long term or short term.

• suz04079
    Original Author
    9 years ago

UneedaWindow- Do you think it will withstand a Maine winter? The house will be about 20 ft from the shoreline. Is there a warranty? Thanks-

• PRO
    9 years ago

Yes I'm sure of it, PGT has a very active distributor in Minnesota so the cold is not an issue and in terms of coastal applications they are east coast from Florida to New England. After Hurricane Sandy we refurbished the glazing in two porches that are located in coastal New Jersey. In both cases the rooms are 20 years old and they would not have required replacement if the hurricane did not drive windborn debris through the glazing.

Here is a picture (if I did it correctly) of a job we supplied in Woodstock NY. Nice vacation cottage extension

Here is a link that might be useful:

• PRO
  • PRO
    9 years ago

You can view the warranty at this link.

http://www.uneedaezebreeze.com/warranty/