Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justadncr

Marvin Integrity

justadncr
17 years ago

I would like to know if anyone has these windows and if they are happy with them. Do you like sliders vs casement vs double hung???

Comments (15)

• godillos
    17 years ago

I just installed a double hung Integrity window and love it. We could not find anything that looked comparable (wood interior) anywhere near the Integrity prices. I have heard that fiberglass (Ultrex) are considered premium windows, so I am still confused that these are being offered at budget prices. All operation of the Integrity is buttery smooth. Functionally it is much, much better than my Marvin branded Tilt-pac sash replacement.

The salesman at store where I bought them told me that he has contractors that do 10k+ Marvin windows a year, and they always use Integrity in their own house because of what you get for your dollar. Apparently, everybody else is catching on to this. If you check out their press releases, they just opened up a huge new facility to greatly increase production.

I have a slider on order that should come in next week. I'll let you know my first impressions of that if you are interested.

• norcalbl
    17 years ago

Marvin's Integrity line is cheaper in part because there are fewer choices. More "standard" sizes, not as many special types of glass and until recently, no SDL (simulated divided lites). Because they are more standardized, the production time is very quick. They are wonderful windows and doors.

• pearlchow
    17 years ago

So Marvin Integrity windows are fiberglass exterior and wood interior?
    I went to their website and tried to figure out what materials are used in Integrity windows and can I just say it was not extremely clear, at least to me! I couldn't tell if they were composite or fiberglass on the outside. Actually, I'm not even sure what a composite material is made of! Here's Amsco's description:
    "Renaissance Series Composite windows are made from a proprietary composite formulation extruded for strength and covered with PVC capstock for durability."
    Can you tell I'm somewhat frustrated with window makers and sellers?

• norcalbl
    17 years ago

Wow, the only thing you get from that description is that they are some type of vinyl. Integrity has come out with an all fiberglass (Ultrex) window. There are only a few types available right now,(gliders, double hungs) but more will be coming out later this year. They will be a little less expensive than the wood interior windows.

• justadncr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have the Integrity book in front of me and it seems very clear they are not vinyl but fiberglass windows."made of Ultex, a pultruded fiberglass material which is weather resistant,strong, stable and long lasting. Ultrex is 8x stronger than vinyl" I am getting ready to order them and I will let you all know what I think.

• godillos
    17 years ago

Here's a follow-up on my glider - I don't like it as much as the double-hung, but it is still a pretty nice window. It glides super-smooth when I take out the top weatherstipping, but with that in, it take a lot of muscle to move it.

• carll
    17 years ago

i may be wrong, but i thought that the integrity product is a solid fiberglass product with wood veneer interior. i guess that would be similar to buying a particle board dining room table with a thin cherry veneer to stain. their upper end line is a far superior product. it is solid wood and you dont need to worry about the interior delaminating.

• norcalbl
    17 years ago

Integrity windows and doors are all wood interior. They are not a cheap veneer. There is an "all Ultrex" series that are not wood interior, veneer or otherwise, but all fiberglass.

• omega21
    17 years ago

Anyone have any experience or opinions regarding Marvin Integrity (w/wood interior) to Andersen 200 Series (w/wood interior)?

The main difference (that I can tell) is that the Marvin is Ultrex (fiberglass) and the Andersen is vinyl.

After pricing both with local distributors, it looks like the Marvin is approx $70 more per window. Doesn't sound like much, but an extra $1500 towards our already strained budget means a lot to us!

Thanks!
    James

• calbay03
    17 years ago

From what we saw in shop after shop (5 in all), Marvin and Marvin Integrity have better woodwork than Andersen (or Pella or ....). We prefer the more refined detail finishing of the Marvin wood interior. Andersen, though better than Pella, still showed rougher finishing with noticeable gaps at joints.

Integrity is not true wood inside but a thinner wood (thicker than veneer) embedded with Ultrex on the outside. The Marvin Aluminum clad has solid wood inside.

The Integrity is an excellent buy but the Ultrex exterior did not have the color we want so we ended up with the Aluminum clad version.

• queenofangels101_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

Just finished installing my new Marvin Integrity Windows and doors. They are the higher end, (more options available)fiberglass exterior, wood interior. The all fiberglass Integrity comes with very few options.

The windows look good, and the fiberglass exterior should do well with the elements (let's see what time has to say about that), but I find the mounting system to be flimsy. The mounting flange is made out of paer thin fiberglass and vinyl. The flange is wedged into the fiberglass frame with a 1/8-3/16" vinyl wedge that slides in a slot. Take a look at it when you go see the product at the showroom. That's it! That's all that holds the window, besides the loose cedar shims, which are not even screwed through.

I'm accustomed to solid aluminum windows, which have intergral solid aluminum miunting flanges. Comparativey speaking, these Integrity mounting system flanges are made of balsa wood.

I would only buy these windows again if they changed the bmounting system. Hopefuly, by the time that they do improve the mounting sytem, they'll also have the all fiberglass with all the options now offered in the fiberglass and wood models. I don't care for wood on windows,down here in Florida.

• stickler4dtails
    16 years ago

Some corrections to my previous post:

Just finished installing my new Marvin Integrity windows and doors. They are the higher end, (more options available)fiberglass exterior, wood interior. (The all fiberglass Integrity comes with very few options.)

The windows look good, and the fiberglass exterior should do well with the elements (let's see what time has to say about that), but I find the mounting system to be flimsy. The nailing fin is made out of paper thin fiberglass. The nailing fin is wedged into the fiberglass frame with a 3/16" wedge that slides in a slot in the window frame. Take a look at it when you go see the product at the showroom. That's it! That's all that holds the window, besides the loose cedar shims, which are not even screwed through.

I'm accustomed to solid aluminum windows, which have integral to the window frame, solid aluminum mounting flanges (nailing fins). Comparatively speaking, these Integrity mounting system nailing fins are made of a sliver of fiberglass.

I would only buy these windows again if they changed the mounting system. Hopefully, by the time that they do improve the mounting system, they'll also have the all fiberglass Integrity with all the options now offered in the fiberglass and wood models. Down here in Florida, any wood on windows does not last very long.

• jefhays_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Regarding Marin Integrity window, has anybody had a problem with air infiltration on the upper track and sash areas? On windy days the air pours in. The windows have been installed properly, including shims at the proper intervals. Marvin has fixed the light coming in at the lower corners (Apparently there was a design change) but, I am struggling to get an answer on the air infiltration.

Thanks

• helterskelter
    13 years ago

Marvin's air infiltration numbers are not good. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe they are somewhere in the lower end. Perhaps a Marvin dealer or a regular poster can give the exact number. If not contact Marvin directly, they have excellent customer service and should be able to answer your question.

• amber_windows
    13 years ago

Depending on the size and makeup of the units, you will range from a DP 50 in a Wood Ultrex Casement to a DP 30 in a Wood Ultrex Glider. These are pretty standard numbers. In no way below par with the industry. Casements are always a more solid option in high wind areas. From your description, it sounds like you may have weatherstrip not making good contact. Call Integrity and have them place you in touch with the local service department for your area. I would say that an inspection is the first step for you by a trained technician.