Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
140pinon

Fiberglass? Aluminum Clad?

140pinon
10 years ago

Everyone's replies to a previous posting got me thinking about whether my base window assumptions were wrong. We live in the SF Bay Area where the weather is very stable but we will have wind and direct sun. Our design is Contemporary/Modern with very clean lines and no exterior trim.

Consensus is that wood exteriors on our windows would be a maintenance nightmare. We figured that aluminum would be the better choice with wood interiors to balance the modern style.

Now I'm reading about how clad windows leak and the wood rots over time. UGH. Can someone help with a little education? We can do all aluminum and put wood sills on the interior or we could look at fiberglass or other materials if they look as modern and crisp as the aluminum. Our current place has vinyl and although they work well, they are not the right material for the new project.

I don't want to say that money is no object, but we know this is going to be expensive and we want to make the right long-term decision even if it means more of an upfront investment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)