Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alside 80 vs Jeld-Wen 4500

Posted by jadew77 (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 11:42

New home construction with 50+ windows in the plan. Have received bids back on Alside 80 (and 70) vs Jeld-Wen 4500 series.

Is one a better window than another? I really want to compare apples to apples but don't know whether the Alside 80 is comparable to the Jeld-Wen 4500 series.

Thanks for any help/insight!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alside 80 vs Jeld-Wen 4500

I strongly commend you for taking the time to research windows for your new build. Most people don't, and regret it down the road. That said, IMO, you may as well do no research if you are going to settle on those choices. Typically builder grade. You are not going to find much positive about either model (or brand for that matter) from industry pros.

o

Thanks, HomeSealed_WI. Do you know if those two options are at least comparable? And more importantly, what might you recommend instead?

o

If you troll through the threads on the board, the names that you will see come up regularly are Okna, Sunrise, Softlite, and a few others... To take any subjectivity out of the equation, I recommend looking at the thermal and structural performance ratings. The top (mainstream) products on the market are getting .25-.26 u value in standard double pane (with shgc .25+) , air infiltration of .01-.05 cfm, and design pressure 50+. These ratings are generally very indicative of the type of quality that can be expected.

o

jade,

Where is the home going to built and at what orientation. There are glass performance options that should be considered in the process as well as geographical limitations on where you can get certain products.

Thanks and good luck with the build.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here