Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

New window height - help please!

Kristen Hallock
10 years ago

We are adding 2 new windows to a wall in our kitchen remodel. The windows will be narrow and will be on either side of our range/range hood. Here is a mock-up of what it will look like

The current window over the sink is staying the same. The height on that window is 39.5" and the actual window is about 6" above the countertop. Here is a picture of it in our old kitchen (pre-remodel)

we will not have that short backsplash in the new kitchen. The backsplash will be tiled.

What I am wondering is if it would look OK to make the new windows on the range wall slightly taller than the sink window so that they would come down towards the countertop more.

What do you think? Or would it look better for the new windows to be the same height as the existing sink window?

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

I don't see as much of an issue with changing the height as I do putting the window so close to the cooking surface (i.e. heat, grease splatter, etc).

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

You may have to raise the header if raising the windows but not if lowering from existing height. I like to run the countertop right into the window using it as a stool. Make sure to coordinate this with your cabinet, countertop and window installers.
    If using vinyl windows keep in mind PVC starts to decompose at about 280 degree F and could be damaged from hot grease.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 years ago

toddinmn - Thank you! My husband is the cabinet and window installer. We'll have someone else install the countertop. I dont think I will go all the way down to the counter, but will have the bottom trim piece below the window sill reach the bottom of the counter.

That is good to know about vinyl windows. We were planning on doing vinyl. Our range will be a Bluestar which has a high BTU output. The back left burner is a simmer burner and the back right burner is 15,000 BTUs. The range will be 8" away from the windows. And then of course the windows will be a few inches above the countertop. Do you think I need to go with a wood window instead? Or will vinyl be OK?

I think we've decided to go with a casement window so its easier to open for me.

This post was edited by khallock on Fri, May 17, 13 at 9:16

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

My own personal opinion is that it would be best to keep the window height consistent for both appearance and to keep them further from the heat source. Vinyl will be more sensitive to that heat, however if the are is getting hot enough to cause deformation or damage to the vinyl, it could most certainly have negative effects on other materials (and their finishes) as well. I'd talk to the appliance people about your situation, as they may be able to offer some additional perspective.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

If it was me I would drop all windows down to counter as low as possible. I think it looks cleaner and it is easier since you don't have to tile or put a trim below the window.
    Keep in mind windows made of other materials usually have vinyl parts on them as well.
    Maybe you could put a thermometer next to you stove and see how hot it gets.My guess is you'd be fine temp wise but spattering grease would be likely to do more harm.
    I wouldn't worry to much about the countertop,trim or tile as they can withstand the heat.