Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffw_00

Velux still the best for Fixed skylight?

jeffw_00
13 years ago

I'm redoing the roof. I want to put in a single fixed skylight. When I was more involved in this years ago, it was a no-brainer to use Velux if you could afford it. Are they still an awesome choice?

thanks

/j

Comments (22)

• afsa
    13 years ago

Good choice i would not say awesome. There are others out there that would be a true skylite as opposed to a roof window that in my opinion would be just as good for a lot less $$$$

• jeffw_00
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok - like?
    thanks

• afsa
    13 years ago

I live in the northeast and there is a company called Insuladome who make skylites and also purchased Roto Frank of America a roof window manufacturer.

• jeffw_00
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks - I'll look into it

• Miranda33
    7 years ago

I am resurrecting this old thread to ask the same question as the OP - is Velux my best option now, 6 years after the OP? I have a flat roof, and am looking for good insulation properties in a fixed skylight.

Afsa wrote above about Velux - "Good choice i would not say awesome. There are others out there that would be a true skylite as opposed to a roof window that in my opinion would be just as good for a lot less $$$$".

But it looks like the "Insuladome" Afsa talks about is no longer in business. I don't want a fly-by-night company. Do you guys have any other recs, or should I go with Velux?

• fridge2020
    7 years ago

Velux is where skylights choices start and end these days, for better or worse. There are little custom outfits etc but velux is the biggie. Good unit

• Miranda33
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thanks Fridge2020 and East Bay 10. Can you provide more information on what sort of different flashing I will need for a flat roof (fixed skylight)?

• Miranda33
    7 years ago

Still hoping for an answer to the question - what sort of different flashing will I need for a fixed skylight on a flat roof. Can one of the windows experts on this forum let me know? TIA.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    7 years ago

The type of flashing and method of attachment depends entirely on the type of roof material that you have. Can you tell us more about that?

• Miranda33
    7 years ago

Returning to this thread, as the skylight replacement couldn't be done during the winter. I wanted to answer Windows on Washington's question. The roofing membrane is Sarnafil PVC. What sort of different flashing and/or method of attachment would be needed for a Velux fixed skylight on the flat roof with this membrane? TIA.

• PRO
    7 years ago

Sarnafil should have all the parts and pieces to make the corners and the curbing. You will need to make a curb in the membrane and then mount the skylight to that. There will be no flashing ,in the traditional shingle sense, that Velux will provide in this case.

• Miranda33
    7 years ago

I wasn't sure if I was clear. The Sarnafil PVC membrane is already in place. I am replacing the skylight, but there will be no roof work. Are you saying that the skylight contractor will be able to provide the Sarnafil parts and pieces needed for the installation?

• PRO
    7 years ago

If he is going to take on the job, he should be able to. Can you post a picture of the area in question? Do you have a curb currently?

• Miranda33
    7 years ago

Sorry, I do not have access to the roof for a picture. There is a curb currently. The roof membrane is just a couple years old, but the skylight and its curb are 20 years old, and on last legs. I.e., they put the new membrane on, and then put back the old skylight.

• PRO
    7 years ago

They would/should have brought the roof up the curb and flashed to that. Assuming that is the case, the removal and replacement of the skylight is super easy.

• Miranda33
    7 years ago

Thanks Windows on Washington. You've been so helpful! Now I have to choose a contractor. I am first looking at the "5-star Installers" on the Velux site, and then looking them up on Angies List. Of course, each of them has some bad reviews. I know that meeting a couple of them in person will be helpful. Plus, now I have some knowledge, so that I can see if they do too.

• Miranda33
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

To follow up on my earlier posts, I finally got my Velux skylight installed a few days ago (the FCM model). While it looks great, there is a major problem. We've had a lot of rain here, and it's been very humid (as is the case usually in July). No water is coming in, but in the area under the skylight, which is a hallway landing, it is so humid, it feels just like a bathroom right after someone has taken a steamy shower. That humidity seems to be much worse after sunfall. There is no condensation visible though. There must be something wrong, but I don't know what.

This never happened when the acrylic dome was there. The home is about 25 years old, as was the previous dome skylight. I've called the contractor, and the receptionist said someone would call me next week. I am very worried - the humidity is severe, the Velux skylight was expensive, yet the acrylic dome seemed to have been better.

• PRO
    6 years ago

This is more likely because the acrylic dome was allowing the humidity to diffuse via air leakage around the frame. You need to control humidity in the shower/wet areas with proper venting. We have, on occasion, installed bath fans in skylight shafts if they were tall or voluminous enough. That fan needs to vent through and out of the roof.

• Miranda33
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks Wow. The skylight is not near any bathroom, and the shower had not been used in at least 12 hours prior to the extreme humidity felt under the skylight. I used the mention of a bathroom just as an analogy to describe how it felt, sorry if it sounded more like there was a bathroom near by with a lot of steam. Because the area under the skylight felt just like the summer humidity that was outside, I suspect there is significant air infiltration. There are more issues in the installation, so I think a fresh thread is needed to give the full story, which I will post.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Warm air is clearly less dense than cooler air and can carry more moisture. As such, if its the high spot on the interior of the home, it will want to congregate there.

Keep in mind that cooking/washing clothes/showering downstairs or anywhere in the home = moisture in the air and where it will likely show is at the least insulated spot in the home (i.e. the top of that skylight shaft).

While it isn't the norm, sometimes you need to install a fan in those areas to strip out the humidity on the fixed unit skylight shaft areas.

• Miranda33
    6 years ago

Thanks for responding WoW. I also wrote a lengthier explanation on my other thread. Have actually barely been home, so no laundry or cooking, and showers have been short and early in the morning, with an effective exhaust fan. The humidity is definitely worse after dark, and is very concentrated under the skylight. It feels just like I am outside in the summer air.

In my other thread, I describe how I believe the problem may be with the curb which was supposed to be new, per the proposal. Instead they kept the 25-year-old curb which had been used for the previous acrylic dome. Just attached the new skylight to it, and that was the installation.

Other Thread about Velux FCM Skylight Installation