bave_gw

Anyone heard of Drutex/ Iglo5 windows?

BAVE
11 years ago

Comments (35)

• BAVE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are looking at their mahogany finished (look) PVC. There are several large luxury homes with them in my area. However, I'm concerned that these do not seem to be very well known. Considering recent hail damage we've had I'm also concerned that they may one day be difficult to replace.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I've never heard of them but they look pretty impressive... and very pricey. Where are you located that these are available?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I would be concerned in that they are manufactured in Poland ad with only one distributor in the US I would be concerned with lead times,. freight costs, any backordered material, parts and or warranty items. Also in Europe they are generally a little bit ahead of us in fenestration technology (energy efficiency mainly) and this comes at a premium so aS Dog mentioned I am sure they are more expensive than a similar high end type of window available here in the US.

• BAVE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our contract currently allows for all Krestmark vinyl windows and doors (basic run of the mill lumber yard windows and aluminum doors). Upgrading the entire home including exterior doors will cost us approximately $12,000-15,000. The lead time is 30 days according to what the contractor tells me based on installing these on multiple homes. It's a large (5000 sq ft) home with plenty of windows but only five rear/side doors. Our distributor is actually two hours awy from me in Monterey Mexico (were on the border).

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Whats wrong with doing business with an American manufacturer? Your country needs you to spend your money here, right now.

• BAVE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'd prefer a US made product that is very readily available. However, it doesnt appear that there are many companies making a simulated wood PVC window and our builder has plenty of experience with this particular product.

• WindowDog
    11 years ago

This is so odd and out of left field that I'm lead to think you're builder and you are both going to regret this. A window made in Poland, distributed in Mexico, installed in USA. Ok. It's your money. Simulated wood PVC has been around since the 80's, but what do I know. I'm sure Marvin might have something for you since Europe imports their product.

• BAVE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The closest Marvin dealer is six hours from us.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

I'm with Windowdog on this. A Polish made window purchased from a distributor in Mexico and installed in the US sounds like a real nightmare. Suppose there's a problem? What are you going to do about it?

I hope you don't take this wrong but why would you buy windows from Poland and then say the closest Marvin Dealer is 6 hrs. away? Poland is a lot farther than 6 hours.

I don't know what it is about these windows you like so much but I find it really hard to believe a US manufacturer doesn't make something similar. I suspect that your neighbor just gave you contact info and you feel it's an easy buy.

Do some research on Schuco, a German manufacturer who made a great window in the US and then decided to stop production. Read about the nightmares people went through and still do trying to get replacement parts. You will need replacement parts very likely at some point.

• EcoStarRemodel
    11 years ago

Also wanted to add that the economy in Europe is worse than it is in the US. The odds of this company folding is very high and when economies get bad, companies start cutting costs and that usually means quality suffers.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I have been involved with selling fenestration products from Germany, Italy and the Czech Republic. Even with everything going 100% (which is VERY rare) it is still a logistical nightmare between custom, shipping containers,getting the to and from the ports it is just a complete nightmare and the supposed money you save on the project will more than likely cost you more money in delays and aggravation.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

There you have it BAVE, a good list of the pros and cons. As I said earlier it looks like one serious performer, but is it worth dealing with the the other potential pitfalls in the future?
    Again I'm speculating, but I suppose it depends on what you value most. If it is simply a well-made, high-end window for your high-end home, then something like a Marvin will do the trick. If you are looking for the ultra-high performance that it looks like that window offers, you might look at some other options like Starmark/HiMark which is made in the US but has Polish roots, or Inline which is a Canadian company that makes a high-performance fiberglass product. Either will be available with a woodgrain interior. I don't know if either are readily available in your area, but even if not, it would seem to be an easier obstacle to overcome than a product built overseas.

• BAVE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all of the input. We have plenty to think over decide over the coming weeks. Another window we were recommended is the Eagle aluminum clad windows though I have no idea how expensive these are.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Eagle is solid. I prefer the Marvin Ultimate, or Kolbe, but the Eagle is not bad by any stretch.

• highport
    11 years ago

For what Drutex cost, it is probably not much more to use Eagle & it is a much better window. Andersen has a dealer in McAllen. Very few upper end windows available in that part of the world. Showcase Vinyl is better than Krestmark & has a dealer in McAllen(Mfg. in Houston). But, beware of windows shipped out of Mexico. Windows=NO Tequila=YES

• BAVE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"For what Drutex cost, it is probably not much more to use Eagle & it is a much better window. Andersen has a dealer in McAllen. Very few upper end windows available in that part of the world. Showcase Vinyl is better than Krestmark & has a dealer in McAllen(Mfg. in Houston). But, beware of windows shipped out of Mexico. Windows=NO Tequila=YES"

Thanks for the info. I have not tried for an Eagle quote but I may. Our quote for a total of 45 windows and doors (1 french door and two singles) came out to under $35,000 while basic vinyl is closer to $10-12k. many of the windows are small tower windows while the largest are 6x8.

• WindowDog
    11 years ago

Basic vinyl for 45 windows and doors was 10-12k? Are you kidding me? That there would be total junk windows. You wouldn't want them in your dog house.

And if you go with the Polish windows, you might WISH that you had spent 55k and gotten your windows without the nightmares. Even so, I can't see how Marvin or any other high quality window wouldn't be economical and closer to home and in the same "k" ballpark.

• BAVE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

approx 20 are very small (shower, closet,tower, etc) windows
    22 are normal to larger windows

I would definitely classify the vinyl Krestmark windows as bottom level.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

It does look like a very solid window.

I would agree with the other posters that you might want to stay local. While I like the idea of buying locally made products, I am thinking more-so from the service after the fact standpoint.

Where are you building the home again?

• BAVE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"It does look like a very solid window.
    I would agree with the other posters that you might want to stay local. While I like the idea of buying locally made products, I am thinking more-so from the service after the fact standpoint. "

Where are you building the home again?

Brownsville/ SPI area.

The company has been around for decades and this distributer is based out of Mexico but has had a window and flooring office here for over 10 years. They have provided us with dozens of local addresses where this particular window (PVC in mahogany finish has been installed locally (houses ranging from 5000 to over 10,000 sq feet so plenty of windows). However, they are a much more pupular window two hours away in Monterey.

• PRO
    11 years ago

You will have to weigh out your considerations. It would appear that you might have a great support there but just keep that in mind.

The window does look very nice.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

+1 to WoW's comments. As I mentioned earlier, you are just going to have to weigh your priorities: A "specialty" window which would appear to offer Ultra-high end performance (Drutex), or something more traditional that will surely be serviced easily throughout its lifespan.

• BAVE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. Yes seeing these in person, they are impressive. However, I really need to consider the future serviceability. We're considering very different options such as going with Don Young aluminum in bronze.

• BAVE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The style of the home makes it difficult to opt for anything other than dark framed (PVC or Aluminum) windows. W'eve seen similar homes with light colored vinyl windows and they look a bit cheap. Below is a rendering of the home.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• WindowDog
    11 years ago

Gorgeous home. I would highly recommend against dark pvc/vinyl colors. I know there have been improvements in recent years, but I've lived through several progressions of improvements in colors and I just don't believe it. The claims are always there, then it doesn't hold up and you don't hear about it for a while. If your not going to go with white or tan, don't go with vinyl. I think you will regret it. The finish warranties are less than the overall warrantee on mechanical parts and also than the glass. Usually 10 years.
    I'm sure there are some here who are more knowledgeable than me on the technical info and may add to this or may disagree with me. However, this is my experience, it has remained consistent, and most companies will not do darker colors in vinyl because they know they can't stand behind it.

• PRO
    11 years ago

While they claim it is fine with the emissivity and reflectivity of the new paints, I also do not prefer dark colored vinyl and especially not that far South.

• BAVE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WindowDog & Windowswashington, thanks for the advice. We havn't seen any older homes with these windows so it (dark color PVC) is concerning. I'm waiting for a quote on Don Young's thermally broken windows as well as a quote from General Aluminum's thermally broken (which seem to be the most commonly used around here).

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I've had good luck with dark colors on vinyl windows and siding, but that is up here in WI. I'd also never recommend it on anything less than a top-end product... In your region, I'd agree with the others that it probably would not be the best choice.

• 1973Matthew
    11 years ago

MT Windows & Doors Authorised Sole Distributor of Drutex in Ireland
    Showroom
    192 Crumlin Road
    Dublin 12
    ph.01 6165139
    www.windowsdublin.ie

Here is a link that might be useful: www.windowsdublin.ie

• juliacrawmer
    3 years ago

Nice, beautiful, expensive windows. You can't get anyone to service them when they need repairs. USA.

• rdep68
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

stay far away from this product!!! the threshold design is the worst on the market...they leak at the very notice of rain...Im repairing a number of doors that all leak from simple rainfall and customer service is none existant...

• t carroll
    last year

Drutex windows are great. The STC ratings, thermal ratings and water testing are all the best in the industry for the money. Check out their triple pane. They are easy to operate as well, and the hardware is durable. Recently (post covid) I have heard of some contractors having trouble with supply chain issues and lead times, but you should confirm for your location.

• millworkman
    last year
    last modified: last year

"The STC ratings, thermal ratings and water testing are all the best in the industry for the money."

Do you have this info? Always interested in "the best" products available.

• rdep68
    last year

I just finished repairing leaks on a multimillion dollar home that has Drutex…having worked with Andersen and Pella for decades, Drutex are substandard….they are not only notvwsyer right, but the loss of energy at seals is tremendous…don’t waste your time…