Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raiska

Anderson 400 vs A Series vs Eagle

raiska
11 years ago

Dear all, please advice. We are living in Queens, NY and trying to replace 28 windows and 4 doors in the house by LIRR. We were looking at Anderson 400, A Series and Eagle.

Anderson 400 is the cheapest option but we don't like exterior colors. A Series is the priciest and we not sure if it is justified by superior quality. Eagle is in the middle but wait time is 6 weeks.

I would appreciate any suggestions in terms of quality and price. Also, should we go with vynal awning windows in the finished basement or we should buy them from the same line as the rest of the house.

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I would get them from the same company but you do not say what type of material you want the windows made from if it matters. None of your choices are top of the line they are all middle grade at the best. Prices you seem to have and it sounds like color is the driving factor so the decision is really yours.

• raiska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know that Andersen 400 is vynal ouside, eagle is aluminium and A Series is fibrex, what i don't know is which material is better in terms of durability, noise reduction and energy efficiency.If you can suggest which line is better for the price. Thanks.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I personally do not like any of them especially Eagle and A series with the Fibrex. If I had to choose one of the three it would be the 400 series just because it would be the lesser of three evils in my book. Price again is up to you because I do not know your budget.

• raiska
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate your input on this, but in your proffessional opinion is there any better alternatives to this midpriced windows. Also, i got a decent quote from Kolbe & Kolbe, do you think it is a good option.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

In my honest opinion I would use Kolbe in a heartbeat it is a much better alternative than anything Andersen makes.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

Eagle has recently made changes to their design creating a thermal break between the alum clad and the wood interior using the Fibrex materail. They have also changed the weather stripping and the position to have a more possitve, full contact with the sash onto the Fibrex. They have also modified the head and side secondary weather strippings to be in the alum clad part of the sash, up and away from any wood contact. The result is lower u values and a tighter seal.

I would like to hear the reasons as to why millwork feels Eagles are not a good quality window. There are 15 year old double hungs in my parents house without ever an issue and a 13 year old 4 wide fixed bay in my own house as well as an awing in my bathroom that is even older, not sure the date. Again, all no issues at all.

Marvin would also be a high end wood window to look into, but will cost more then the options you mentioned, possibly not the A series. The Marvin bid I got on my new house was about 40% higher then the 400s, and about 30% higher then the Eagles. The Marvin Integrity wood Ultrex was slightly more then the 400s, but a few hundred bucks.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

You may be 100% correct, lzerac. I have not sold Eagle products in a few years and they very well may have improved the quality but I just do not feel Andersen products are a top of the line product, either performance or durability wise. The 400 and Tilt Wash Double Hungs which make up the bulk of their sales are a vinyl wrapped frame which is not very think nor attractive from my perspective. The sash are not architecturally correct in that the sash are essentially the same top and bottom and do not give you the aesthetics that a wood window should have. The exterior of the sash are still a painted product and the glass is only 5/8" of an inch thick where as most companies have gotten better performance values from thicker glass. This is just for starters I do not sell wood windows currently and need to think back to some of the other reasons I am not a fan. I used to sell a hell of a lot of Andersen Windows but then I started selling Marvin and Kolbe and just found the workmanship and the quality if the products to be of a higher quality. I personally feel that when Andersen started making custom products and purchasing other companies that this was the downfall of them as they started trying to be everything to everybody instead of being themselves. Just my feelings and opinion forr what that is worth.