Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lopay_gw

Flashing a Renewal by Anderson Window

LoPay
10 years ago

We are committed to having Renewal by Anderson replacement windows installed. We are also going to have the house resided with LP Smartside. Our contractor is very well regarded, but I have a concern on how they explained the window installation. (Window and siding choices were based on what will look right for our 60s raised ranch.)

The old windows will be taken out to the studs, and the interior and exterior trim replaced. They will be doing the windows first, and then come back and do a tear off of the existing siding. When I asked about how the new windows will have the flashing installed, the sales rep and the cut away they had in the showroom showed me that they insert a fin over the existing opening and under the existing siding. The fin/flashing only appeared to only go about 3 or 4 inches below the opening sill.

Is this an acceptable installation and amount of flashing? If it isn't what should I ask them to do? The contractor is big enough where they have a windows division, a siding division, etc, so I don't expect the siding crew to do anything above and beyond with the windows while they are there.

Asking because one of those TV shows where money is no object, and the most esoteric details get discussed without commercial interruption showed a flashing that went at least a full foot around the window with some type of membrane behind that while the siding was off. Our house will be wrapped with Tyvek before the new siding is installed.

Comments (4)