Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
remove window to install door - structural brick

Posted by mylevi (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 11 at 7:30

My house is a 1921 brick semi. I have a window that I would like to change to a door. The rough opening is wide enough however the height is too short. I will need to remove the exterior cement window sill and 2 full layers of brick below it. This will leave 2 layers of brick before the brick arch above my basement window.

Do I have to install a new steel baseplate when I remove the brick? Can I removed the brick without causing structural problems. Please help!.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: remove window to install door - structural brick

First thing I would do is bring in an engineer to determine if you risk the wall collapsing by doing this, as from here I don't believe anyone would feel comfortable answering this question.

o

+1

I would have an engineer or a very capable contractor look at the project.

It can certainly be done, it is just a question of what sort of re-structuring you will need to do.

o

There is no significant structural loading under a window.

The loads have already been transferred to each side of the opening (or the opening would have already collapsed).

o

there you go, you have the brickeyee seal of approval to change your opening without risk of your house collapsing!

o

I don't think the question was whether or not a window was load bearing, but rather what would need to be done to re-structure the opening.

It will require the installation of either a new header beam or some sort of steel lentil to support the weight and load of the structure above it.

o

"It will require the installation of either a new header beam or some sort of steel lentil to support the weight and load of the structure above it. "

Not if there is no change to the height or width of the opening.

You can remove the wall area UNDER a window and use the existing header and lintel without alteration.

If you need to change the height of the top of the opening or the width then a new header, new lintel, and framing changes are required.

o

That is correct. I was thinking, as is normally the case, that we are removing upper courses of brick and going up.

If nothing changes at the top end (width or height) they are fine.

o

"there you go, you have the brickeyee seal of approval to change your opening without risk of your house collapsing!"

"The rough opening is wide enough however the height is too short. I will need to remove the exterior cement window sill and 2 full layers of brick below it. "

Reading the OP and understanding how loads are transferred around openings is not all that hard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here