Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_flynn

Foggy Panes - Old Bay Window

Pines Everywhere
10 years ago

Hey Window people:

These old panes appear to be two-pieces of glass with some sort of steel or aluminum surround.

Over the years, gases or moisture have seeped in so they have this foggy appearance. Can these be replaced and by whom?

My window/door guy said go to a glass supplier, order them myself and replace them individually. At this time, I cannot afford $3500 - $4200 to put in new casements (my ultimate plan).

Any advice? Also, if I'm stuck with these for now, how do I seal them better -- Silicone Caulk?

Comments (13)

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a close-up of one pane:

• millworkman
    10 years ago

"My window/door guy said go to a glass supplier, order them myself and replace them individually."

That is your best option. You have what is known as a seal failure. The spacer has failed and moisture has seeped in.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

MWM is right on. Best and really the only way to fix it properly without replacing the full window. May run around a couple hundred bucks ea, maybe less maybe more depending who you call and if you install it or have it professionally done. You don't have to replace all, just those with failed seals.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks folks -- I'll investigate at a local glass supplier and get a cost -- $200/ea is scary (as most are foggy) and there are 15 in total.

How do I seal these by they way -- Silicone Caulk?
    Outside and Inside?

I may just keep them until I can get my casements.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Should more than likely be in the $150 range possibly a little less. Installation may be tough to judge and be quantity and location related. There should be wood stops which would get removed then existing glass unit removed. The new insulated glass unit would be set in place with some acrylic latex silicone to both seal and help hold it in place and then reinstall the wood stops.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much millworkman --

Doesn't sound as scary as I thought. Location is easy access as they are ground level.

I will check prices and suppliers and maybe try it myself. If I can do this affordably short-term ... I will. Otherwise, I'm putting the original shutters up on this Bay window and keeping them closed! LOL.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

$150 seems reasonable.

Figure out the math at what point you break even with replacing the units as they go bad as compared to a completely new bow window.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Company I work for would probably get $175 for the first and $50 for each additional to install if they are all ground floor. Maybe a break for a quantity maybe not and possibly even a little more depending on the condition and ease of removal.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Are these original to the home, did you have the home built? They appear to possibly be Woodco Windows and they have been out of business about 30 years. Don't forget to factor in the condition of the hardware if your reglazing as if it is not in good working order you may not get replacement parts to easy.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The home was built in 1972. My window/door guy (who is ordering and installing my large Patio Door) indicated that it "looks" like someone re-installed the panes at least once.

Probably the previous owners to me as they were pretty handy but frugal (they were residents for 15 years). All the windows in the house seem high-quality wood windows and were nicely taken care of. The two problems left for me are this huge Bay window and an original aluminum 12 Foot Door Wall (that you folks have helped me out with).

It is just a shame that the two openings to view the backyard were yucky. I'm remodeling the rooms with these openings and I sure would like to finish them nicely. The doorwall is key as I CAN NOT do my floors until that is in. This Bay is a focal point in the dining room but as I said, it has shutters and I can put them back up. LOL.

Money & Time -- those are always the hangups with remodeling, right?

• PRO
    10 years ago

More the first than the latter.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Amen.

So many ideas ... so little moooolahhh.

• PRO
    10 years ago