Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fisherra59

Lowe's Jeld Wen Vinyl Windows Hard To Open

fisherra59
10 years ago

Last summer I had Lowe's install 7 white vinyl double-pane impact resistant Jeld Wen windows in 4 bedrooms of my Florida home to replace 25 year old aluminum single-pane windows. I was going to go with Pella but the depth of the Pella windows was too much and would have caused me to have to put in a different style of blind on each window at a large expense. Lowe's did a great job with the planning and installing. The foreman and crew of 3 or 4 were efficient and professional. The windows have improved my home's energy efficiency. However, they are literally hard as hell to open from a fully closed position. I hope I never have to escape by opening one of the windows in an emergency. I can't break thru the window because they are impact resistant. I realize that they need to be tight for energy efficiency, but this is ridiculous. I have tried silicone spray lubricant which seems to help for a while, but the longer they go unopened they go back to being hard as hell to open...so much that I have thought that I was going to break off or crack the vinyl lift tab. If anyone has any suggestions, please tell me.

Comments (10)

• millworkman
    10 years ago

+1, sounds to me like it may be an installation issue but pictures would definitely help.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

I assume you have talked to Lowe's about this. What did they have to say.

• hbhbbw
    8 years ago

We just replaced some older windows with Jeldwyn as well and I'd put the old ones back in in a flash. We can't get them open for anything. The larger windows work great, but the 3x4' are impossible. We've had their rep. out and the window expert to fix them and he doesn't know what to do either! Buy Milgaurd, we loved our them in our other home.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    8 years ago

I don't hold that product in high regard, however unless there is some malfunction of the balance assembly or something if the sort, these sound to me like installation issues.

• PRO
    Window1
    8 years ago

Its a garbage product, i was shocked when i saw it. Its also very bulky and strange looking.

• Elizabeth Weissman Raschiatore
    2 years ago

Had the same issue.I contacted Lowes, the company sent someone and they glide so nicely.

• HU-112863158
    10 months ago

I agree... most of my new windows do not open easily, and just don't open fully at all... Hopefully Jeld Wen will come to the rescue after contacting them with provided information.

• millworkman
    10 months ago

" Hopefully Jeld Wen will come to the rescue after contacting them with provided information. "

Don't count on it. Most often opening issues are installation related. And Jeldwen is not known for their positive customer service.

• HU-473552301
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

I've installed many of the Jeld-Wen double Hung windows and of lately the top and bottom sash are impossible for a lady to open and difficult for a strong man to open. The problem is that the weather strip that slides into the bottom sash exterior side of the horizontal rail catches on the window frame. Remove this weather strip and the window opens like it should. Jeld-Wen needs to redesign this weather-strip with a longer flange so that it can not lock into the rib that is part of the window frame.

They also need to remove some of the plastic flashing at the bottom of the top sash where the 1" stick on whisker weather strip is installed. The way it is assembled now you can see daylight through this area of the window. I've had to remove this plastic flashing and reinstall the whisker weather strip to get an adequate seal in this area. How do we get this message to Jeld-Wen ??