Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanyahawaii

Double Hung Vs. Awning

tanyahawaii
14 years ago

We live in a 70's built single wall construction home in Hawaii with original glass and wooden louvres/jalousies. Due to termite damage, we're planning on replacing all of our windows. We hate cleaning the jalousies, but I know they're good for ventilation. I really like the awning windows for the ventilation. But, they're expensive. Double hung is cheaper, but I worry about the ventilation. I know upgrading our windows will be better no matter double hung or awning because they'll be lo/e and double pane. But, we rely on tradewinds to keep us cool, especially because our house is single wall construction.

The problem is our house is isolated on a hillside, exposed to the direct heat from the afternoon sun on two sides of the house, with no trees or neighboring houses to help shade us.

No matter which windows we choose, I'll still need to consider getting a solar shade or something to help deflect the heat. The only issue with choosing awning windows (besides the cost) are that they would be over a wrap-around deck, which is on those 2 sides of the house with the most sun exposure/heat. So, when cranked out, the awnings would stick out and be a bother to people walking along the deck.

I know we could choose to get updated jalousies for the best ventilation/air flow, but I can never keep up with the cleaning (and we have a lot of bugs and red dirt all year round that get stuck to the screens and windows). I like the fact that both the double hung and awnings would be easier to clean.

Still, I'm not sure which ones we should choose. Any advice to help with the Hawaii heat?

Comment (1)