Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiberglass recommendation

Posted by nova_fiber (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 11 at 2:37

I live in a 1970 colonial in Northern Virginia with 11 double hungs and a bay window(so two more double hungs). We received a quote from the local Marvin and Pella reps for their respective fiberglass windows (Imprevia and Integrity). The price quotes were similar enough, but Pella was slightly cheaper as they quoted full frame replacements rather than inserts.

What we are struggling with is which is better? I have read several pages of posting and haven't been able to draw a conclusion.

Please post any positive or negative experiences you've had with these windows. Also, are there any other fiberglass manufacturers we should speak to?

We've lived in this house for a little more than a year and the projects have killed our savings. We plan on living in the house for 20+ years, it's our long term home, so we want to make sure we buy something that will last!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiberglass recommendation

I am not a fan of the Pella Impervia product and certainly not in comparison to the Marvin Infinity.

A full frame replacement is not a necessity and will not yield you much more glass or a more proper installation if the insert installation is done properly.

o

We have Marvin Infinity fiberglass in our garage. We did full frame replacements (casements). We installed 4 sets of double casements and they are lovely and easy to clean (prior windows were wood painted interior and aluminum coated exterior). They are lovely.

o

just had one elevation of home installed with marvin infnity fiberglass inserts.Purchased the argon 272 as opposed to the 366 glazing.Clincher was the product with installation and service are provided by same vendor.did not want to break up purchase at one source, installed by another source, etc. I am told these are good windows, have yet to stain and topcoat and finish trimming and caulking,on the interior. Rear of home gets more weather fluctuations..so, researching a clad product or seeking info as year 2013 will bring higher standards for energy star rating including triple glazing.Windows are complex.Will say these sliders are easy to operate and look good. Also got some casements;not sure they are better than other brands.Exterior looks far better than other"replacement windows" that you see thrown up all over the place from TV vendors [many of those are vinyl, I realize.]

o

No one would ever deny that the Infinity is not a pretty window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here