Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elliots11_gw

Storm windows vs Replacement

elliots11
9 years ago

Hi, I live in Los Angeles and a few years ago a fierce Santa Ana windstorm really screwed up my house. During the repair period I wanted to do the windows, but I ended up not doing them just because they weren't really broken but they still had leaking and sound problems so I waited for another day.

Now I am researching window replacements and I'm not really sure the right way to go. Initially I've been looking at just plain dual pane windows, but since they don't really offer anything with hurricane protection I thought that perhaps I should just hold off since essentially my roof was damaged by category one or two hurricane winds, only it was from Santa Anna's and not an actual hurricane.

I'm primarily interested in getting something that's laminated glass. Initially looking at complete replacement, now however it looks like it's going to be much cheaper just to do storm windows, plus I'm a landlord so it would go quicker, probably cost less, and disturb the tenants less.

Concerns:
1. Hurricane resistant - hence laminated glass. Must be just as functional and easy to clean.
2. Sound blocking - got a neighbor with a motorcycle, and another with a yap yap dog
3. Clarity � I don't want to screw up any views
4. Thermal efficiency

Does anyone have any educated opinions on this? I'm fairly young and haven't ever dealt with before. If I wanted to get laminated glass storm windows added to what I already have what would that cost roughly? This is a 2100 square-foot house. Thanks in advance, I really like community around here and I'm definitely open to other ideas.

Comments (3)