Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Storm windows vs Replacement

Posted by elliots11 (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 1:43

Hi, I live in Los Angeles and a few years ago a fierce Santa Ana windstorm really screwed up my house. During the repair period I wanted to do the windows, but I ended up not doing them just because they weren't really broken but they still had leaking and sound problems so I waited for another day.

Now I am researching window replacements and I'm not really sure the right way to go. Initially I've been looking at just plain dual pane windows, but since they don't really offer anything with hurricane protection I thought that perhaps I should just hold off since essentially my roof was damaged by category one or two hurricane winds, only it was from Santa Anna's and not an actual hurricane.

I'm primarily interested in getting something that's laminated glass. Initially looking at complete replacement, now however it looks like it's going to be much cheaper just to do storm windows, plus I'm a landlord so it would go quicker, probably cost less, and disturb the tenants less.

Concerns:
1. Hurricane resistant - hence laminated glass. Must be just as functional and easy to clean.
2. Sound blocking - got a neighbor with a motorcycle, and another with a yap yap dog
3. Clarity � I don't want to screw up any views
4. Thermal efficiency

Does anyone have any educated opinions on this? I'm fairly young and haven't ever dealt with before. If I wanted to get laminated glass storm windows added to what I already have what would that cost roughly? This is a 2100 square-foot house. Thanks in advance, I really like community around here and I'm definitely open to other ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Storm windows vs Replacement

Also considering new windows plus hurricane proof film. Would have to shop for windows with a certain type of mount so it works best, but storm windows seem easier than that.

o
RE: Storm windows vs Replacement

Lamination doesn't hinder the transparency.

Laminated storms might be an option but will not impact what might be a poorly functioning window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here