Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to select a product to seal a gap between a window and wall

Posted by coody (My Page) on
Fri, May 27, 11 at 1:02

Hello! I am confused by many different types of sealant such as acrylic, silicone, caulk and so on. I saw four different products in the HD. Can you tell me which one is the best to fill a gap between a exterior window and wall? It should be weather, water and shrink proof, right? Should the material be flexible or not? Can you help me to select the right product? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to select a product to seal a gap between a window and wa

Use "Great Stuff" from Orange to fill a gap between the window and the wall. It's low expanding foam and won't buckle the frame if you are sealing a vinyl window. Then I would use quad caulk to seal the window perimeter.

o

"I saw four different products in the HD"

Only four?

You must not have looked very hard.

There are at least 50-60 in the HD nearby, let alone the Lowe's down the block.

Low expanding foam for any gap over more than about 1/4 inch to avoid the expanding foam forcing the window out of square/plumb.

The interior window trim (casing) should cover the foam for a finished appearance.

If you do not have any trim the wall material (drywall. blueboard, etc.) should be covering it.

o

I have never thought about the expending foam. Is that material flexible, shrink proof? Why is it better than the GE silicone II, by the way?

o

"I have never thought about the expending foam. Is that material flexible, shrink proof?"

Once it sets up after expanding it is not going to shrink.

"Why is it better than the GE silicone II, by the way?"

Because it expands to fill the entire gap completely.

U=You are likely to need to come back after it hardens and cut off any that is above the surface.

If the gap is directly against a window jamb be sure to use the LOW expanding foam.

The high expansion stuff can exert enough force to bend the window jamb and interfere with the movement of the sash.

Silicone seal is expensive and overkill for routine weather sealing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here