Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jizhl

Polybau Windows?

jizhl
18 years ago

Anybody ever heard of polybau windows? It may not be a household name but I'm a bit surprised a search in this Forum turned up nothing on it. Polybau claims to be energy star vinyl clad but I can't find them listed at the energy star website under windows. They also claim to be better built than many vinyl clad brands, such as Milgard.

Does anybody know anything about Polybau?

Comments (10)

• mfalke
    18 years ago

They are listed on Energy Star website under Prima Inc./Polybau Windows in California

• jizhl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I did some more research after posting and turned up Prima like you said. However, I could not find much more info (besides company propaganda types) other than some consumer complaints. A few complained about condensation problems. Another complained about the warranty not being honored because he bought the windows before the previous owner of Prima/Polybau sold the company to the current owner. I'm trying to find anybody with any positive feedbacks but haven't found any. They've been around for a while, so it's not like they're some kind of fly-by-night outfit, but not being able to find more customer feedback (especially positive feedbacks) is quite troubling. That's enough for me to forget about considering their product.

• mike35
    18 years ago

Just a quick note about Energy Star rated windows: Energy Star has never tested a window, and they never will. What they test, and rate, is glass. As long as the glass reduces energy costs by 30% over the 1993 Energy Code, or 15% of the state energy code, which ever is more strict, they are Energy Star rated. Just about every low-e glass available wil meet this requirement. So most new windows will meet the requirement, as long as they have glass from a manufacturer that has been tested by Energy Star. There are only a handful of companies making glass for residential window makers. I know Andersen, Pella, Marvin, and Eagle all get their glass from Cardinal Glass. So all of their Low-e units are energy star labeled.
    Good idea to walk away from the company. If you can't find information on them, and all the feedback is negative, you want nothing to do with them.

• jizhl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good to hear from you again, mike35. I looked into Loewen windows but was shocked to find their pricing at more than double Andersen's. While Loewen is superior, no way is it more than twice as good. I considered it because of its use of douglas fir in an aluminum clad but pine in vinyl is good enough for me. There's also no point in paying more for another pine product like Marvin. I then remembered Polybau, a brand I've picked up through advertisements and said to myself what have I got to lose to get a quote from them. However, having found nothing but negative feedbacks is enough to stop me from taking the next step. Oh well, I guess Andersen it's going to be, and from what I have learned, it's a good value for the money in my opinion.

• Michael
    16 years ago

Condensation. Condensation isn't caused by the window. Read the condensation report and get educated before making a decision.

Warranty. It's only right to expect a former company not to honor the warranty on a product they didn't manufacture.

Were there any valid complaints?

I've got pictures of every major brand that we have replaced. Andersen has their own set of troubles with quality and performance.

Hey Mike. Polybau uses the same Cardinal Low E2 glass as Andersen. The exception, and a major advantage over Andersen, is that Polybau offer Super Spacer over the less efficient metal spacer that Andersen continues to push.

BTW, the company has a tremendous amount of info available at the website. You describe that as propoganda. Does Andersen have any negatives about their products listed at their website or is it all good? Think about it.

Polybau even posts its Energy Tax Credit Certification. Look a bit closer at this company. I don't believe you gave then an honest evaluation in your first accusations.

Michael

Here is a link that might be useful: Nice products

• Lisadoll
    2 years ago

Well well.. they’re no longer in business for whatever reason.
    Researching for my parents house.
    Actually , they’ve never had an issue w glass failing which is quite common w double panes from the ‘90s. I just wanted to have screens replaced . I’ll get them elsewhere . No biggie .
    Too bad they are out of business and can no longer service warranties for those of you who are having issues . “Lifetime warranty” means the lifetime of the manufacturing company- never the product .
    BTW: I LOVE MY SIMONTON WINDOWS and the company stands by their warranty. My experience w them has been stellar .

• Window Genius
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You are talking like ” going out of business” is just for small companies. That is totally false. Many times its larger companies that have larger issues. Why dont you voice your opinions to Sears or Toys R Us about companies that go out of business.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    2 years ago

Circuit City, GM, Sears, and on...and on...

• Lisadoll
    2 years ago

Im not voicing any opinion. i ve had no issues w those polybau windows, as ive stated. Didnt need their warranty. i just happened to look for them and found theyre out of business. which , btw, i am too. so maybe dial it back a bit?