Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window sound control advice

Posted by jennios (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 23:46

Hello all,
I am in need of some advice before I make a big decision. I have a brand new home (3 mos old). Builder installed Andersen 400 windows. Here is the problem, I back to a busy road with a speed limit of 55 mph although many go at least 70. Mostly cars but also a considerable amount if tractor trailors (semis) and pick ups with loud aftermarket exhaust. Getting a lot of road noise and a tinney sound on the glass.

My Andersen 400 casement windows have an STC of 26 and an OITC of 22.
Pretty low. I think it is a 5/8 size if that sounds right.

Andersen rep reccomended replacing all my sash with new sash with laminated glass which would give me STC of 30 and OITC of 26. For a cost of $400 per sash (about 10 windows). The new windows would still be Andersen 400 but Coastal series. I live in the midwest, no ocean around here but I guess the call this tgeir upgraded STC glass.

Do you think the laminated glass with 4 point STC/OITC increase may help or at least provide a little relief?

Thanks for your feedback! :-)

This post was edited by jennios on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 23:48

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window sound control advice

The 4 point increase will help and should be perceptible but an STC of 30 and OITC of 26 is still medium to low. We see some laminated testing out of windows show in the mid to low 30s.

While it will be an improvement, I am not sure it is going to give you the net result and sound attenuation you are looking for.

o

Thank you so much for the information! Glad to hear that it should be somewhat perceptible .... at least it will be something. Although knowing that there are other windows out there with a better classification. I think I may try just one to begin with and see where we go from there. Thank you!

o

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here