Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpusa_gw

New construction home completed - noise from the interstate :(

dpusa
10 years ago

All

So we built our home as many of you know in an intown location albeit near a major interstate (about 500 ft away). Our house is complete and has dual pane windows in the master bedroom. However we can still hear the major road and wondering what options we may have to significantly reduce the noise down. It appears most of the noise is through the windows but cannot be sure its not the walls (timber framed, hardiplank sides).

For the windows, we have plantation shutters on the inside of the windows already hung.

1. Would exterior storm windows help, and if so any recommendations?
2. THoughts on companies such as Soundproof windows - are they better installed inside or outside? Better than option 1?

Thanks
Ursula

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Exterior storms would help but will obviously change the look of the window and the exterior.

Be sure to opt for laminated glass in this case for maximum sound attenuation.

There are also interior storm window applications that can be installed and sometimes outfitted with laminated glass.

Neither exterior or interior is necessarily better than the other, just a question of what application works better for your home in terms of aesthetics and application feasibility.

• dpusa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response. Do the experts here have recommendations on laminated glass exterior and interior storm windows that are good?
    I ask as Sound Proof Windows quoted $2900 inc shipping but excluding installation for my three windows.

Regards

• PRO
    10 years ago

That is a bit steep.

I have used Allied interior storms from Ohio but MonRay also makes a nice exterior storm.

• dpusa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks I will look into monray and of course any other thoughts from anyone of solutions or other good storms is welcomed.

• lkbum_gw
    10 years ago

I'd be looking at some dense plants. Maybe Leyland Cypress? They grow about 3 feet/yr and you can get 6' tall ones to start.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on Noise reduction with landscaping

• dpusa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks LKBum, we Want to tackle it from multiple avenues so planting some 6ft leylands is definitely on our radar! Our master is on the second floor so I assume noise blocking will take some time to get there.?

• dpusa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Windowsonwashington- did you use internal or external Allied Storms.?
    Thoughts on them? Considering using the HOLB line with 1/4 inch laminated glass and wanted thoughts front eh experts here.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

I prefer the external mounted storms, but it would depend on what type and brand of windows are on your house now.
    Newer double-hung windows don't always accomodate external mounted storms like the old ones and can void warranties since yo may have to drill into the frame or modify it. You should in theory get a higher STC rating by whichever method of mounting creates a larger airspace between the prime and storm window.A storm with 3/16''monolithic glass may be all that is needed to acheive the performance you after.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

You can also look into white noise generators.

They produce a mild 'rushing' sort of sound that can often be more easily tolerated and ignored.

They are used in many places you would not expect, like stores (and even some restaurants).
    Music used to be used for the same purpose, but that often now requires royalty payments.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

That's how I fixed my car, just put in some Enya and turn up volume as needed.

• PRO
    10 years ago

The storms I used in this case were interior.

• dpusa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All

Thank you for your thoughts thus far. I have got two quotes for externally mounted windows, both operable.

1. The SoundProof Windows (from the company of the same name) and for five windows that is $3295 installed.

2. A local window company that sells the Allied External HOL-B storms with 1/4 inch laminated glass for $3197 installed.

Thoughts?

Ps. Tried the white noise machine and agree its tolerable but still not ideal.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Ask the SoundProof Windows folks who makes their window and compare the STC data on the two.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

I would consider Larson's SCS storm(sound control storms). They use 3/16ths glass non laminated and are priced under $200 material only and are readily available.

• ellessebee
    10 years ago

We have the same problem! House is just about completed, all Anderson 400 series casements. The low rumble in the house is louder than it is outside! I thought it was the boiler or some other mechanical device but nothing is on. It sounds like someone using a leaf blower in the yard - and it's worse at rush hour. We hardly notice it outside but inside it's unbearable. It's worse with the windows closed than it was with them open during the summer. The house has become a big amplifier/woofer. The walk-in closets are totally silent - no windows, so I do believe it's the windows, not the structure. Curtains would be a painful option because of the view (on a lake) we bought the property for. An additional window would be OK although it would render the casement inoperable. (The thought of spending thousands more on a new house we are just putting the finishing touches on is painful, but if I could get them with UV protection, iit would make it worthwhile.) I would like to hear more experiences with this problem and if you've had success muffling the noise. Thanks

• PRO
    10 years ago

Are the windows installed correctly (i.e. square, level, plumb)?

Can you post up some pictures?

Have you contacted Andersen?

• ellessebee
    10 years ago

The windows seems to be OK, and the house passed the duct-blower test - for air leakage - with flying colors. Energy star rated. When we open the windows it is less noisy! When I press my ear to a window, there is a lot of noise. Outside it is quieter. Really hard to understand. I'd be happy to post some photos - what would be helpful? There are a lot of windows. Thanks

• PRO
    10 years ago

This is an interesting issues is it sounds somewhat like there is a reverberations (vibration) issue at the windows. Why, I am not sure.

Was the home, given its proximity to the road, supposed to have a specific STC level window?

Laminated glass would probably be a bit help but having had a client price out laminated glass for their home's Andersen windows, I can tell you that it was a small fortune.

• ellessebee
    10 years ago

I tend to agree with your assessment - no STC level specified. In the old house on that site, we didn't hear anything like this, but there were far fewer windows - and they were so poorly installed we could actually see out around the window frames. It might be worthwhile to do a few in laminated glass to help in the main living room, but I'd really like to get an "expert" opinion. Is this something Anderson would know about? Are there consultants who do this sort of thing? I'd hate to spend a small fortune and find out it was a total waste.

• PRO
    10 years ago

There are consultants. Be prepared to spend some decent money on the investigation in most cases.

The equipment to do a proper investigation isn't cheap.

• oberon476
    10 years ago

I am just speculating, but it sounds like your windows are acting as a narrow band-pass filter. Basically they are attenuating sound thru most of the audible spectrum, but they are passing sound thru at a specific and narrow frequency range.

Coincidence dip is defined as the "frequency at which the glass panel vibrates in unison with the frequency of the incident sound pressure waves". Or in English, your windows may be acting as an amplifier at a particular sound frequency. This would help explain why you hear the persistent hum when the windows are closed, but you don't notice it when the windows are open or when you are outside.

If so, this doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the windows, it is simply physics.

Since you don't notice the sound when the windows are open and it is loud enough to be very annoying when the windows are closed, I would guess that the windows are well installed and tight.

Potential fixes for this problem would include replacing the IGU's (insulating glass units) with ones that have two different thicknesses of glass in the construction, or ones using laminated glass in the IGU construction. Laminated glass being the better option in this case in my opinion..

It's not particularly difficult to change out the IGU in an Andersen 400 series casement sash, and IGU's incorporating laminated glass are readily available for those windows - if you want to consider that option.

As WoW pointed out, you can bring in a sound engineer to evaluate your problem, but it won't be inexpensive.

This post was edited by oberon on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 22:31

• ellessebee
    10 years ago

Oberon - what you're saying makes perfect sense to me. I have no training or experience, but my gut and ears were telling me that that's what is happening. Where/how would I get these laminated panels for the Anderson casements? I assume it's not a DIY project? At the moment, funds are short (just finishing construction....) so I don't think I can do anything major to the windows now. Maybe I could do the 7 worst offenders - or maybe just 4 of them and the rest next year. In the meantime, is there any way to stop the transmission of the sound waves by modifying the existing glass? Anything that could be applied to the windows, either inside or out? Thanks for your thoughtful answer.

• PRO
    10 years ago

You will need to call Andersen. Look for the serial number in the corner of the glass (etched into the surface) and call them with the numbers of the most problematic windows.

Prepare to spend some cash on these guys too.

• oberon476
    10 years ago

+1 WoW's posts....

Call AW first exactly as WoW suggested and ask about changing to a laminated glass package - you can use the same sash, you just need to change out the IGU.

Changing out the IGU in an AW 400 series casement isnt really that difficult for an experienced DIY'er, but there are a few things to consider before going that route.

If I may, where do you live?

• ellessebee
    10 years ago

The house is in Putnam Valley, NY. around 1000 above sea level, over-looking a lake on one side and down hill from a busy parkway - which is where I suspect - the rumble originates. I imagine the lake helps in transmitting the noise, too. Our like exposure is the southern exposure so, of course, we put a lot of windows for view and solar gain in the winter. LOL - lots of noise.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Perhaps a removable glazing panel if they are still available. Sort of an interior storm window that would fit in where the screen fits (including the same type of catches). I am not certain if Andersen still makes these but hey also may be able to be made by a glass shop.

• ellessebee
    10 years ago

I am looking into getting an additional pane of glass, but available options are quite costly - approaching the cost of new windows. I like the idea of using the screen frame - those are cheap, but how to get a pane of glass into it is a challenge. I am wondering if there is anything that could be applied to one of the 2 panes in the double pane windows that would stop or dampen the vibration - similar to the felt dampers on a piano that stop the strings from vibrating. Any thoughts?

• lkbum_gw
    10 years ago

This may not be applicable, but it might be worth a try and i would be interested in what the pro's think. You could change the natural frequency of one glass panel by simply adding mass to it, like a stick on lead weight used in high end car wheels (a flat piece of lead with adhesive on it). If you put one of these on one of the glass panels you would change the natural frequency of that pane. Closer to the middle the better, but a heavier weight near a corner would do the same thing. If a sound guy could measure the natural frequency of a pane, you could actually "tune" the panes to offset the noise transmission. Just a thought.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Very cool suggestion lkbum.

I am super interested to see if this actually works!!!

• ellessebee
    10 years ago

The house is in Putnam Valley, NY. around 1000 above sea level, over-looking a lake on one side and down hill from a busy parkway - which is where I suspect - the rumble originates. I imagine the lake helps in transmitting the noise, too. Our like exposure is the southern exposure so, of course, we put a lot of windows for view and solar gain in the winter. LOL - lots of noise.

• jennios
    9 years ago

Ellessebee,
    I know this thread is a bit old but thought you might see. Just curious if you found a solution to your problem with the Andersen casements? I am experiencing the same issue. Thanks!

• jennios
    9 years ago

Ellessebee,
    I know this thread is a bit old but thought you might see. Just curious if you found a solution to your problem with the Andersen casements? I am experiencing the same issue. Thanks!