Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbkim

Energy Efficient Skylights

sbkim
12 years ago

I am looking for laminate skylights with the best U factor possible. I see Velux are around 40s which doesn't sound all that great. Any other brands I should look into? This skylight will be on North facing roof. Thanks

Comments (12)

• EcoStarRemodel
    12 years ago

You will have to go triple pane to get the u factor below .30. I know Wasco makes one with 366 glass with argon gas that's around .28.

• sbkim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fantastic. Thank you for the info. On a side note is it worth while doing a skylight in northern facing roof? I don't see any sun in the area

• EcoStarRemodel
    12 years ago

You will get some light in thru a skylite. How much just depends on the amount that side of the house gets.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

I would concern myself with the quality of the unit more so than the small efficiency differences.

Velux makes a great unit although their unit is a bit on the lower end of the efficiency scale.

Wasco makes a quality unit as well.

• sbkim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Excellent points. Sadly, the north side isn't getting much light. Suffice to say, I am not sure if it's worth the added cost and perhaps detriment to energy efficiency and added noise.

I definitely want the best quality unit and sounds like Wasco is the way to go here?

Thank you so much!

• sbkim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just spoke with Wasco skylight rep and he claims that their eMAX laminate offers U factor of 0.32 even though their website shows 0.42. I don't mind doing triple glazing but I don't think it has laminate glass which I will need for noise mitigation. Your thoughts?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

I think I would stick to a more idiot proof double glazing vs. triply glazing in the skylight realm.

Laminated glass is a nice option from both a sound and UV light elimination standpoint.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Skylights are NOT for overall energy efficiency, they are for decor.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

tempered over laminated is a nice feature so if something were to happen and break the outer pane it would not go thru both panels and fill your house with small shards (and nothing in the skylite to stop the elements) but tempered over tempered is the minimum by code.

• WindowDog
    12 years ago

Yes, all skylights are tempered or laminate for safety, just like patio doors. I echo the advice above, which is that skylights are for light. The manufacturers mentioned above are the best out there and have been for decades. Don't get so wrapped up in the numbers. A good quality manufacturer will have good efficiency ratings, and you will never feel the differences in a couple points.

I love skylights. They let in lots of natural light which is healthy for the eyes and feels good. Spend the money on a good one and good installation company.

• EcoStarRemodel
    12 years ago

I would definitely consider the energy efficiency if for no other reason than a higher condensation resistance. Especially if the skylight is being installed near a kitchen or bathroom where moisture is more likely.

• sbkim
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Excellent points! Here's our dilemma. The bathroom where we are considering 30"x30" skylight is facing north and I do not think it's going to see much sunlight. I am understand that skylight will provide some amount of "cool" and constant light but just not sure if it's worth the cost and hit on energy. We already have a window in the bathroom so there is some amount of natural light as is. I know this is a personal choice but just wanted to hear your views on placing skylight where you won't have much if any sun and ventiliation or view...