Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aberson

windsor vs anderson

aberson
11 years ago

We are replacing the stucco on a part of the back of our home. We figured it would be a good time to replace the windows in that area. We are deciding between windsor pinnacle and anderson a series casement windows. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• aberson
    Original Author
    11 years ago

From the little research I have done, it looks like Windsor is not the best option. We are replacing 2 casement windows in our attic and 1 in my son's bed room. These are at the rear of the house. As I stated, we are having the stucco taken down and replaced so while the wall is open we figured it was a good time to replace our 80 year old steel casements in that area. We figure any option is better than what we have. This repair is costing a lot of money so budget is an issue. I don't have a real preference for exterior material but don't like the look of vinyl. Thanks for your help!

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

If you are sticking with wood, Andersen is worth consideration. My favorites are Marvin and Kolbe.

• sw1262
    11 years ago

I wouldn't consider either one!!!!!! Kolbe or Marvin will be your best choice period.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+1

Kolbe and Marvin are both great windows in wood.

• researchgal1
    11 years ago

Leeseebr -- if you search for negatives on any window line, you'll find them, so don't dismiss Windsor. I have them in my house. They're built well. Their aluminum cladding is thick and strong. They're just not as well known because they sell through lumberyards instead of big box places like Lowes and Home Depot.

As Millworkman says, there are several factors to consider: what you want to get from the window (ease of maintenance, style, etc.), are you willing to paint or stain it if it's wood?, compare the NFRC labels, the kind of glass and spacers, and of course cost.

Whatever way you go, make sure you hire an experienced installer. IMO, window installation isn't something you should leave to an novice or DIYer -- too much can go wrong, and then the window company is blamed when it's actually an installation issue.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

research, I have previously sold the Windsor wood windows and glad your happy with them but there is nothing about them that I would consider high quality and cannot in good conscience recommend them. Just because they use extruded aluminum does not mean they are quality. And Lowes and HD usually sell crap or Andersen (which can be hit or miss in my book depending on the series).

• jan nixon
    5 years ago

So what window DO you reccommend?

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Wood? Vinyl? Aluminum Fiberglass? Region of the country? New construction or replacement? Casements, Double Hungs, Sliders?

• HU-851205127
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

GP: Moving to Iowa south of Des Moines, Indianola area. New build in Spring. We have had Andersen Windows for 22 years since we moved in to our new built house, but now are building again as moving to Iowa. We prefer Casement, and French Door, both we have now. But over the years things change as does technology. We would not want Vinyl, but what about Aluminum Fiberglass--don't know much about that type of product. We have had wood Andersen Casement windows for the 22 years. We have considered Marvin, your thoughts and insights are appreciated. Thanks, GP