Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I replace my windows along with siding?

Posted by 58jh (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 22:11

We are replacing the cedar siding on our second floor with either vinyl or cement board. The windows are 27 year old double hung Andersons. There are no problems with the seals, but a few must have problems with the sash weights/cords as they are either hard to open or won't stay open. At some point they will need to be replaced, but they could last for quite a few more years too. Although the cost of window replacement is considerable, we are wondering if it would be advisable to replace the windows while we are replacing the siding. Some of the contractors we've talked to said it doesn't matter if we do the siding now and then the windows a few years later. However, others said it would be much better to do the windows while we are doing the siding as far as installation and final looks. If we replace the windows, they would be wood on the interior and low maintenance on the outside. Pros and cons...we know the big con is the cost, but are there really any pros for replacing the windows along with the siding?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I replace my windows along with siding?

Yes.

Full tear out is an option when the siding is off and that is the most preferable method of installation.

If you are going to do the windows as some point, you should certainly consider doing them with the siding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here