Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rehsanipoor_gw

Plantation Shutters Pros/Cons, need advice

rehsanipoor
14 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this website and owning a home so forgive my lack of sophistication! Can somebody help give me a very general education in window treatments? I've gone through and read the threads here but I need more basic information.

I'd like to do plantation shutters. I love the style but am worried about cost. I was thinking of only doing the down stairs rooms to save $$. What are the pros/cons for using real wood vs. other materials? What can I expect to pay for each?

If I can't afford the plantation Shutters what would be the next best thing that would give me a similar look?

I am grateful for any advice/resources that you can give me! Again forgive my ignorance!!

Comments (8)

• rehsanipoor
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great. Thanks so much for your help. I'm glad you told me about the lack of light plantation shutters give. The truth is one the things I love about the house is its light. I don't want to diminish it too much. So maybe plantation shutters arent' the way for us to go. Do wood blinds allow more light or would the effect be the same? What do people use in order to achieve privacy without losing light?

I appreicate you help!

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

I would think wood blinds would provide more light. The slats cover the entire window (whereas with plantation shutters the slats are on the center, surrounded by wood).

Although you can tilt the plantation shutters straight to let in the most light, it is still diminished. It is fine for our bedroom, but we have 6 floor to ceiling windows in there and receive direct light.

Our dining room has a triple floor to ceiling window but it is in the front of the house and gets less sun. Point being - we have large/long windows in this house and it still makes the room dark.

They are great for bedrooms though! Don't let a speck of light in which is great for us (kiddos sleep later and husband works all night sometimes and will come home and take a daytime nap).

• mtnwalton
    14 years ago

We had vinyl plantation shutters installed throughout the house and love the lighting control they allow. The rooms are plenty bright and you have instant privacy and room darkening quickly as needed.

• mikemjh
    9 years ago

I am based in Cheshire and recently had shutters fitted by Plantation Shutters Direct who are local to me. I am so impressed at how easy the light levels can be controlled and if you are on a busy road privacy can be guaranteed without blocking out all the light. I am told that they also keep heat in very effectively so I'm looking forward to cheaper bills!

Oh.. and they look gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

• Sheila Medford
    9 years ago

I have plantation shutters and I don't love them. I have a porch across the front of my house and in combination with the shutters the rooms are very dark.

• lizluchini
    9 years ago

We moved into a house that had plantation shutters on every window front and back up and down. It was already a dimly lit colonial so we started taking them off the rooms that needed less privacy. What a difference! They do limit the light significantly in my opinion so unless you have too much slight beware

• lizluchini
    9 years ago

So unless you have too much *light* beware

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21