Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anymacc

New Windows for our Colonial

anymacc
11 years ago

Hey all,

We are considering installing wood windows on the front of our colonial more for aesthetic reasons than anything else. I hate how the thin vinyl windows seem to disappear when viewed from the street.

So if we want some wood windows so we can change colors what do you suppose they would run per window in standard sizes? Is there a faux wood alternative that still allows painting?

My contractor verbally quoted me vinyl colored windows for $250 each and $100-$150 to install. He quoted wood at $290-$450 per window for wood. Does that sound right? So if I have 10 across the front are we really looking at a $5-$7k project for wood windows?

Here is a picture:

Comments (13)

• anymacc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a more up close picture. Note how nice the thick wood divided light windows look for the entry. We want mirror this for the rest of the front.

• anymacc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a more up close picture. Note how nice the thick wood divided light windows look for the entry. We want mirror this for the rest of the front.

{{!gwi}}

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

No that does not sound right. For a good product with simulated divided lites, you are going to need to bump up your budget substantially. If you want those big thick grilles, you'll need a nice wood window, and you'll be more in the range of $1000 per window installed give or take.
    Colored vinyl with sdl grilles should come in less, but will still be more than what your contractor projected for a higher end product.... Which I would definitely recommend on such a beautiful home.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

+1 on what HS stated.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+2

The only way he is getting a window of any quality at that price is if it "fell off the back of a truck" type deal.

I agree with you that wood does have a warmer and more organic look to it as compared to most vinyl windows and that the thicker and SDL/TDL muntin is a definite plus.

As HomeSealed said, that window to those specifications in wood is going to be a pretty window and cost a pretty penny.

Be sure to be sitting when you get that quote.

• anymacc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, so a relatively small window is $1k each! What brand? Do I need to get uber technical on windows to pick the right ones? Or is there like 1 or two options at this price range and others are much higher?

• PRO
    11 years ago

Wood windows (and windows in general) are very a la carte.

The more rare the option (i.e. SDLs - simulated divided lites as compared to GBG - grids between glass) the more expensive they will be.

Windows are an investment of some significance so I would stress that the time spent making a purchasing decision of this size should always match the investment.

Prices and options are all over the map.

Try to start with what you want the windows to look like and work backwards from there. You may wind up eliminating some options based on price, look, or aesthetics.

Don't get frustrated and understand that some folks will try to push you into a product because that is what they sell or know. Ask questions, do your research, and get the right window for your tastes and home.

• anymacc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. The windows should look like the thick wood divided light surrounding the front door. What brands look like this and are there pricing online?

• PRO
    11 years ago

Most manufacturers will have grid size options listed on their pages.

If you are going to go with wood, I would start with Marvin and Kolbe.

If you are not concerned with having specifically a wood window, that opens up the options a bit, however, most vinyl and fiberglass manufactures don't have as comprehensive a grid offering (on the thicker side) in the non-wood materials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marvin Infinity

• anymacc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. The windows should look like the thick wood divided light surrounding the front door. What brands look like this and are there pricing online?

• PRO
    11 years ago

Anymac,

You probably won't find any pricing online and you are going to have to talk to specific dealers about your project and requirements.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

+1 on wow's advice, and just for emphasis try and stay with those 2 brands for wood windows as you want to do this once (at least have it last 25 yrs).

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I concur with the gentlemen above. You'll need wood for an SDL that thick, and Marvin and Kolbe are the cream of the crop in my experience. Due to the very custom nature of wood products, it will be difficult to nail down pricing much closer than the ballpark that I mentioned above without getting some actual quotes.