Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aller76

Okna windows, which way to go?

aller76
10 years ago

24 double hungs and 2 fixed picture windows, most of them are 84-96 total inches.

Got two qoutes on okna 500. One with new construction format (nailing flange?) for ~17K, one for insertion for ~13K.

Also got a quote for okna 800 EnviroStar for all windows for ~15K. Description for 800 "composite reinforcement bar - grids between glass with foam filled frame, for double pane- extra strength glass climaguard lowE\Argon". Is there anything missing for the 800 replacement? Is the price too good or on the right side?

All qoutes include installation and debris removal. Which way I should go for?

Thanks

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Two totally different install methodologies right there.

What is coming out and what the two different installs?

You are covered on the windows. The 500 and 800 are fantastic.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

You probably dont need new construction( nail flange) if there isnt alot of wood rot. The reason for a nail flange/ new construction would include removing all exterior and interior trim. If only using a nail flange and not removing interior trim, i see no point, a basic replacement would be just fine.
    Both are great windows. Great pricing for the 800 series. Good luck.

This post was edited by mmarse1 on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 9:05

• aller76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks both of you.
    The contractor wanted to do new construction format said it's only available for 500, not for 800. He did mentioned about remove outside trim, but nothing about inside. and he only gave quotation on 500. The other guy said we don't need nailing flange and sent us quotes on both 500 and 800, which I mentioned before.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

I agree with mmarse1, you probably don't need to go to the expense of replacing the trim to utilize the nailing fin. I'd go with the middle quote - 800 and retrofit installation.

• PRO
    10 years ago

You can, however, add a nailing flange (via clip in) to the 800 series.

I do agree that it is probably not necessary though.

• aller76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. How much more do you think it will cost for the nailing fin for 800? Will the flange make big difference in energy efficiency?

• PRO
    10 years ago

Flanged install will be much more expensive but not because of the flange.

The install is much more labor intensive and if both are done correctly, there is no benefit in energy efficiency in one over the other.

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

+1. Great windows, and you probably dont need the full tear out installation. That is great pricing on all of the lines, particularly the 800 series.

• aller76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all of you. I will go with the 800 regular install. The guy has pretty good reputation on window installation through online search.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Great choice and good luck.