Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannes

From storms to replacements

cannes
13 years ago

My husband and I own a 90 year old brick home with original wood windows. The upstairs have storms that are in extreme disrepair, the downstairs still have the old wood storms. Every winter, we spend a day installing the 3M window films on all windows.

So, this year, we had decided to install new storms. However, the more we began looking into it, we are begining to think that we should skip the storms and install replacement windows. Specifically, inserts.

We are looking at the Anderson Woodrights and the Marvins. We have 10DH and think with an insert window that we can handle installing them ourselves since we have extensive construction knowledge. This would certainly help us afford to do this.

There are a lot of people on this message board with a ton of knowledge. What are all your thoughts. Are we doing the right thing? Considering the right products?

Comment (1)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

If the wood windows have historic value, are in good shape, integral to the aesthetics of the home, etc, etc....then I would recommend just getting some good storm windows and retrofitting the weatherstripping on the old windows.

Get a good storm with Low-e and that should give you all the improvement you require if you decide that you don't want to go the insert window route.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner