Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
restorephoto

Comparison of do-it-yourself replacement windows?

restorephoto
10 years ago

I've been reviewing these threads off and on for three years. I've been trying to keep these 1939 windows painted for 38 years here in Indianapolis. No more! It's finally time to act. I wouldn�t tackle this myself, but a friend is a retired contractor who's very, very good when it comes to homebuilding/remodeling. Given that I know him and I know the quality of the work he does, I'd like him to install replacement double-hung windows in our brick cape cod along with a 10-foot bow and 10-foot picture, both with casements on each end. However, the window brands that repeatedly get the highest praise in these forums (Sunrise, Soft-light, Gorell, OKNA, etc.) don't sell to homeowners or contractors as far as I can tell. Outside of this stellar group, which (if any) manufacturers who will sell to homeowners and contractors have products that compare in quality with those listed above?

I realize there are many factors involved, including the fact that the above-listed manufacturers offer a range of options/quality. We wouldn�t be looking at the top of the line. Rather, a step or two down�at least that would be the case if we were focusing on those manufacturers listed above. However, I'm hoping to get a general idea of your opinions regarding the overall quality of this other category of replacement window manufacturers� products if possible. At least as a place to start my research. If the cost is comparable to those manufacturers listed above, that's fine. I'm not necessarily looking for less expensive options.

One of my key concerns is related to the fact that we're leaning toward a forest green exterior color and I realize there are fading issues at some point in the life of the windows. I'm guessing this may be a potential problem for many manufacturers (if they offer this option at all) and might quickly limit the number of manufacturers we consider.

My friend is busy enough that he doesn't need to do our windows project. We're not yet committed to going that route. If finding good quality windows that meet our needs and can be installed by him isn't possible, then we'll focus on the group of manufacturers that I listed above. I've read enough about them in recent years to have a basic understanding of their various strengths and weaknesses, but I haven't talked with any local reps yet.

I appreciate all the time various professionals have devoted to this forum over the years. It's pretty amazing�and very enlightening. Thanks for all you do for us homeowners!

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Try Polaris. They have a distribution side (i.e. Modern Builders Supply) that sells their windows. The UltraWeld can be ordered with the exterior color you want and is is a very solid DIY window.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

Polaris is a good recommendation. The list of "usual suspects" that you cited may be available as well. Softlite and Sunrise sell certain lines through distribution, and all windows will have a few dealers (maybe in your area, maybe not) that sells diy to homeowners.

• restorephoto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I'll take a look at Polaris and Ultraweld, windowsonwashington. I know nothing about them at this point.

Karateguy, I wasn't aware that certain Softlight and Sunrise lines were sold other than through their own network of dealers/installers. I'll have to check that out. As far as being able to buy the Softlight, Sunrise, Okna or Gorrell windows from their dealers for d-i-y installation, I was under the impression from reading this forum that that is not a common practice at all�"because of all the potential problems that can arise.

Estescustombuilders, if I can find good quality windows that meet our needs and that my retired (but still working) contractor friend can install, I'll let him do the measuring. He knows what he's doing and I trust him. Besides, he would want to do the measuring himself if he's going to be responsible for the installation.

I've got some more research to do and will follow up. Thanks again!

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Good Luck and let us know how your search goes.

• Nakesha
    9 years ago

There are absolutely no pluses about building with stellar. 2 years later after moving into our house we regret ever falling for the sales spiel. We already spent over $500 000 on that house that was built to poor standard that the real estate agent we asked to value our house said that we would be better off pulling it down and starting again rather than selling and moving. We should have raised voice when we observed that they didnâÂÂt use gravel to elevate the foundation before they dug the trenches. Again we had to spent a lot of money on replacing the vinyl windows because they start to rotten after a season. We were really disappointed by realizing how low quality products were used by them. We had to spend another $1000 dollars for the widow replacement since we hired window choice (Mississauga) for all the works. Polaris might be a good option for you so consider them. While selecting a window replacement Company, be so sure about their reputation so that you will not have to regret afterwards.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths