Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulling windows

Posted by Windrider354 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 21:25

Hi,
I'm planning a walkout bay window as an extension of an enclosed breezeway. To get the projection I need and fill the opening I needed to order three individual windows. The units will be about 36" wide and 80" tall. Actually the center unit is wider than that.
My question is whether it is practical to mull the units together on site or if the units need to be framed individually. One contractor indicated he could mull them, but I'm questioning whether this can be done so that the whole bay unit is stable and weather tight.
Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulling windows

I would prefer to have some sort of stud running between them to help with the deflection but you can probably mull them.

When I have had clients that absolutely wanted the zero mullion look, we have dropped structure inside the mullion groove to help with the deflection.

That is a large opening and tall. Depending on the unit and frame materials, you might have some noticeable movement.

o

spot on by wow.

o

spot on.

How British of you. Sounds like it is time for tea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here