Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swmotz

Bainbridge STC

swmotz
10 years ago

I called Soft-lite to get a sound transmission number on the Bainbride and they said they don't have an STC. Can that possibly be true? They said they don't get asked this question, so they don't do the testing for it. Noise (or I should say, lack thereof) is very important to me. I want to make sure I don't make my situation worse. Does anyonw have an STC for the Bainbridge? Thanks, Stephanie

Comments (13)

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

Do you know the STC rating of the windows that you have now?
    I would upgrade the window to double strength glass, warm edge spacer, and foam filled sash.
    The STC rating is going to be very close to anything else with a standard glass pack, somewhere around 26.
    You may have to look elsewhere is you need exact numbers. Beware though cause the numbers are typically for a test unit at a given size.Just like air infiltration numbers the STC numbers are going to vary quite a bit depending on the size of the window ordered.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

STC testing is very expensive and most often done by manufacturers producing a specific sound attenuation product.

What and how are your existing windows constructed? Storm window?

The STC will probably be in the mid 20's like Todd said.

Most folks note some sound improvement going with a good double pane, double strength replacement window.

If you need additional performance out of that unit, you could always opt for the laminated glass upgrade. Be prepared to pay a pretty penny as it isn't cheap.

• swmotz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right now I have builder grade double pane aluminum windows. I have no idea what the STC number is. But, I sure don't want my new windows to be any less. I'm very scared because I read a post somewhere that a person replaced her aluminum windows with vinyl windows and the noise was so much more AFTER the replacement. I like the bainbridge, but have concern about the noise. Per Marvin, they can make the Infinity to have an STC of 30. I figure my current windows can't be any more than that, right?

• PRO
    10 years ago

The STC on the aluminum units (probably with single strength glass) is in the low 20s or below.

Aluminum has more mass and does a better job of stopping noise when comparing similar thickness materials in vinyl or aluminum.

That being said, most vinyl windows can be insulated with foam (improving the STC of the frame material) and will leak less air (not really accounted for in STC testing).

They are doing offset glazing in the case of that Infinity which is a great option. If you want to compare similar performance numbers, get a quote on the Bainbridge with Laminated glass and see what the numbers shake out to be.

Both should be better than what you have currently if your existing windows have single strength glass.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

wow, "Right now I have builder grade double pane aluminum windows".......

• PRO
    10 years ago

Millworkman,

I see where Stephanie mentioned the window type and that it was double pane. I was referring to the single strength aspect of the glass and not whether or not it was single pane.

I had my coffee when I read that one so it should have been spot on.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

lmao, ok and I love that cat!!!

• PRO
    10 years ago

There is a little grump cat in all of us.

• swmotz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What exactly is "offset glazing" that you are referring to in the Infinity? When I was talking with the Marvin store, they commented that the 30 STC is obtained by increasing the thickness of glass. At least I think that's what they said. I actually forgot to write the answer down and am solely relying on memory.

• Trapper1
    10 years ago

Increasing thickness doesn't do much with respect sound, but going with different thicknesses between the two plates (5mm/3mm) does a great deal since each plate has different resonance frequencies.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Offset glazing is when they put different thickness of glass in a single IGU.

• swmotz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm guessing that's what Marvin does, right? For some reason that sound familiar, that they did two different mm thicknesses.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    10 years ago

I am not sure. You should talk to Marvin. Generally offset glazing increases the STC to 32.