Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are we crazy to restore our 100-year-old windows?

Posted by farmgirlinky (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 21:19

Ours are 6-over-9, solid, single-glazed windows that have been badly painted in the past, with hideous aluminum triple track storms. I've been reading oberon's posts and others in THS and located a local business that does scrupulous restoration and weatherstripping (with "flipper-seals" or something like that of old windows -- they referred me to another business in Nebraska that makes attractive, functional, low-profile external wooden storms with a screen panel that will stay in place year-round but not be an eyesore like the ones we have now. Various old-house experts say that carefully restored old windows can approach newer windows in energy efficiency.

Anyway that is how our plan is evolving, and it will cost a lot, I know (working on time-plus-materials), and I guess I'm asking for ?reassurance...that this isn't crazy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are we crazy to restore our 100-year-old windows?

In two words or less....NOT CRAZY!

You might enjoy the attached link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic Home Works

o
RE: are we crazy to restore our 100-year-old windows?

A very large aountof the gain from new windows comes from reducing infiltration loss.

Flipper seals (a plastic L that goes in a groove in the side of the sash and seals there) better meeting rails seals (felt seals work well here) and flipper seals on the top and bottom go a long way from the older bronze tracks and even bronze spring seals.

I have never really minded using wood storm windows, and the same flipper seals can be used to improve their seal into the window frame.
The storms are not an increase in U value (1/R value) but do help to reduce infiltration.

There is no R value across a metal storm, and even a wooden storm with single pane glass is about the same.

Nothing looks worse than an older house without divided light windows.

Instead of you eye 'stopping' on the muntins, the windows become black holes into the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here