Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trinintybay

Certainteed Windows

trinintybay
13 years ago

We are building a home in southeast Texas on Trinity Bay and will have a large number of windows facing west. Does anyone have any experience with Certainteed windows with LoE-366 and a supplier in southeast Texas?

Comments (20)

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Certainteed is a mid-grade window made by MI. Go to their website and use the dealer locator by entering your zip code.

I'd look around a little more before deciding on a Cetainteed Window.

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks we will continue to look at other window options. Do you have a suggest for another window brand that uses Lo-E-366 Cardinal glass?

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

I don't know what's available in your area. Simonton is a Nat'l Brand that's probably available. Possibly PGT. How close are you to Houston? Maybe call a few dealers and get a couple of quotes on different brands. Then come back here and I will try to help you. PPG makes Solarban 70 which is pretty comparable to the Cardinal 366.

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have quotes from Champion, Star and Simonton but we didn't see product comparable to the Cardinal 366. I'll call ABC Supply back on the Simonton and ask if they have a comparable glass. We have so many west facing windows that our concern is the heat coming in from that direct sun even though we have a 10 foot porch. With our old house (same location) we had to invest in Hunter Douglas block out shades because our old windows has no heat resistant. We're only 50 mileas from Houston so we have traveled north, west and south of Houston trying to investigate windows.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Simonton definitely uses Cardinal 366 glass. They call it ETC glass. I'd ask for ETC Starter, U-factor of .30 and SHGC of .18 in the Reflections 5500/Prism Platinum, Generation and Impressions series

Champions 365 is Cardinal 366 also.

Shoot me an email and I'll give you the name of a really good contractor in the Houston area.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    13 years ago

I know the contract that Sky is going to send along and he is top notch.

• doorproz
    13 years ago

sky
    its ok to recommend contractors on this board, cool. i did'nt know that.

• PRO
    13 years ago

I don't think is posting this person's information up for mass consumption, however, if the original poster wants to contact him, that is a different story all together.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

The rules are against advertising ie. spam. It's one thing to use sites like this to garner business for yourself, it's another to try and help someone out by recommending a contractor who you know and trust. I don't normally make recommendations but in this case the poster is looking for windows with a particular type of glass and I happen to know a Pro in the Houston who is a top notch window installer that knows what's available in the area. I'm sure he would be happy speak to the poster over the phone and give advice. If the poster wanted him to come by and give a quote, that's between the 2 of them.

BTW I get a lot of emails asking if I know a contractor in a specific location and if I do, I will pass along the information. I also get a lot of emails asking for window recommendations which I respond to. However, if someone in Northern Virginia asks me to give them a quote, I usually refer them to someone else I know and trust. Anyone who has been a reader on this site for the 3 years I have been posting here will verify I have never promoted my company either here or on other sites I post to. In fact I go out of my way to avoid garnering business.

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information. I'll check out Simonton too.

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Simonton does not have new construction windows with Lo-E-366 only replacement windows.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Simonton's Brickmold 600 windows most certainly are available with 366 glass. You can also order the Reflections 5500/Prism Platinum with integral nailing fin. In fact the entire Pro-Finish line is available with 366 glass.

Do you mind if I ask where you are getting your information?

Here is a link that might be useful: Brickmold 600 Glass options

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lyonna at ABC Supply Co Inc on Shepherd Dr in Houston, Texas told me that Simonton did not make windows with LoE-366 for new construcion only replacement windows. And when I asked her what the difference was she said we could not use these because they would have nothing to nail.

• PRO
    13 years ago

That is funny.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Well, Lyonna simply doesn't know what she's talking about. You can go to Simonton's website and you will see that they do offer 366 in their new construction windows. Why don't you talk to someone who does know what they are talking about and forget about Lyonna?

• trinintybay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Skydawggy: I have already sent a note to the Simonton website contact and relayed the information I received from Lyonna at ABC Supply and contacted another ABC Supply Company in Nederland, TX.

• skydawggy
    13 years ago

Let us know how it goes.

• rivers7
    13 years ago

Certainteed Windows in California are now made by Ply Gem Windows. Ply Gem Windows has many lines of windows. Premium line is good and the Pro 100 other than that I would not recommend their windows.

• dutseal
    10 years ago

Hi Skwydawggy:

Would you mind sharing the name of the really good contractor in Houston? I am also in Houston, Texas.

Thanks!

• PRO
    10 years ago

dutseal,

You are in luck. The best window contractor that I can think of in all of Texas is in Houston.

Randy (poster on here) at Ultra Windows is the best of the best in Houston.

Great guy and contractor. You would be well advised to give him a ring.