Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help picking new windows for Toronto home!

Posted by gardengal1973 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 19:55

I went to the home show and my head is just swimming with all the window manufacturer's and installer's sales pitches. I am in serious need of some help from the garden webbers!!!

We have about 11 windows to replace in our century Toronto semi-detached. Although it's not a fancy house, I'd like to have windows that reflect the time it was built. I was looking at the Pella fiberglass windows to start, but I gotta admit I am confused. There also seem to be so many local places making windows that it's hard to get a sense of who makes a quality product - online reviews are never more than a couple of years old.

Can anyone offer some definitive advice regarding good brands, good companies or at least what to look for in a nice quality window? Also, what to ask the sales person regarding insurance, WSIB, guarantees, etc.? I'm prepared to spend some money as we are going to stay in this house, but I really want to get proper bang for my buck! Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help picking new windows for Toronto home!

I'm having all my windows replace in my Toronto semi-detached as well. I considered vinyl, but wanted a classic look from both the interior and exterior.

Like you I was willing to spend some money on decent windows. I explored Marvin and Andersen. Didn't bother with Pella to be honest.

I'm having 17 Andersen A Series double-hung windows installed in a couple weeks. 'Brick to brick' installation - meaning they're ripping out the original double hung wood frames that still exist, with aluminum insert windows which were put in 30 years ago. Also having the entry door replaced at the same time.

I'm ripping out the old frames (and interior trim) to get at the cavities where the old counter weights are for the original double hungs. There is no insulation between the old window frames and the wood rough openings/brick, so tearing it all out gives us the opportunity to properly spray-foam the joints.

The Marvin Integrity line is nice with fiberglass exteriors (look OK) and wood interiors. Similar construction to the Andersen 400 Woodwright and A-Series double hung windows.

A couple years back I gutted our kitchen and had the window replaced with an Andersen awning. The company that did the work was fantastic, and I'd highly recommend them.

Drop me a line - tim@dotheton.com if you like and I'll get you in touch with the folks I'm working with for our Andersen windows. In a couple weeks ours should all be installed and I'll know a lot more then :) But as I say, I've had them do one window already and was veryhappy with their pre and post sales support and installation.

Marvin you don't have much choice - you work with Marvin directly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here