Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gil_happy_gw

Need Ideas For Patio Glass

gil_happy
10 years ago

Hello,

I'm looking to enclose my patio (see pictures) with possibly glass, plexiglass, etc so that I can turn it into a year round, conditioned living space.

You can see that I have 2 sets of patio doors that I plan to remove so that the living area flows into the patio area and it will essentially be an extension of the living space. Of course I will need to seal off the floor and insulate it.

Here is my question or dilemma; Since I'm looking to effectively turn this into sunroom, atrium, etc, does anyone have any good suggestions for windows, whether it be glass, plexiglass, etc? I would like to be able to open the windows on occasion when the whether is nice, but assume these will be closed the majority of the time as the weather in Georgia is pretty hot.

I think I have seen windows that fold back, I have also seen windows that can slide back into sections. I have no idea what these are called and if there are any affordable solutions out there. Possibly web sites I can order from where I provide measurements and they will ship to me?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

That wall spacing is not ideally suited for 2-Lite slider.

What is the structure above like?

You are not going to find an insulated plexiglass so you are going to need to go with glass.

• gil_happy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the information.... what or how do you mean about the structure above? Are you asking about insulation, etc?

Thanks

• PRO
    10 years ago

Size and dimensions of the header.

• gil_happy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shoot... unfortunately I won't be able to get the measurements for about a week or so.

• freqz
    10 years ago

Those accordion patio doors are *very* expensive but very cool. I'd wager that would be in 'dream build' territory.

Assuming all of the construction details work, maybe sets of picture windows over an awning or slider on the bottom? The slider would be a good bit cheaper but the awning would look nicer, IMO. Something like a pair of those (4 windows total) between each of the larger posts.

Window installation isn't terribly expensive...get it done right and DIY the labor on the stuff that will be pretty high like flooring, insulating under the deck, paint, etc.

• PRO
    10 years ago

Nana walls.

Super expensive but really nice.

• oberon476
    10 years ago

+1 WoW

At $1500 per FOOT (or more) for high end lift and slide wall systems I'm not sure that even super expensive totally covers it!

• PRO
    Campbell Window and Door
    9 years ago

LACantina is more reasonably priced than NANA and a good quality bi-fold.
    Inquire on their website. They will connect you with a dealer in your area.
    You will need engineering for your new header if there isn't one there. Consult a general contractor for feasibility of this door here.

• gil_happy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi everyone, I finally have had a chance to post a video of my patio with verbal measurements in the video. It sounds like LaCantina might be an option or even a picture window (w/ slider) as suggested. Of course I'm open to options based upon the video.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Patio

• lkbum_gw
    9 years ago

Even though those 2x4's may not be load bearing, when you add windows, the windows can become loaded with a substantial wind load. When we built our house with large glass openings, the vertical load (load from holding up the roof/ceiling) was minor compared to the wind load. This set the amount and size of beams/headers. I would recommend a builder and get this permitted or you could be asking for trouble and for the square footage gained, this is going to be a really expensive project. I'm on Lake Lanier, if you are near there, I can recommend a really good builder/remodeler.

This post was edited by lkbum on Mon, May 5, 14 at 18:08

• fenmaster
    9 years ago

I would look at a two lite slider in the top 2/3 with a fixed picture window below that will have to have tempered glass covering half the distance between the two columns, then repeat in the next section.
    If you email me your sizes I can price for you.
    wayne at taylorandyoung.com