Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmagalhaes_gw

New construction in Ct window reccomendations

dmagalhaes
10 years ago

Building a home and my GC uses Jeld wen premium vinyl, but I have been looking at the Marvin Integrity all ultrex models based on a recommendation from a friend.
I know nothing about windows, and have been looking for a site that would help me compare ratings. Anyone know of one?
Also open to some recommendations on what windows would be best suited for my application.
I am on a budget so I realize that these will be an upgrade from the Jeld wen and am willing to pay but would like to get something within 20-30% increase.
Thanks for any help in advance

Comments (16)

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

I would keep looking. The Jeld-Wen is low qualtiy and the Marvin is not so pretty and has poor performance numbers.
    I would look at a mid to high end vinyl window. The increase in price is dependent on mark-up and whom your buying it from but should be within your margin.Don't forget the quality of th install can be as important as the window.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

With all new construction questions, the starting point is what do you want them to look like and what are you willing to spend.

Not sure I would go with either of the choices that you have listed from the start but the Ultrex/Wood combo is a good looking window.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

+1 to both Todd and WoW's comments. The all ultrex integrity is the only one of marvin's lines that I am not a big fan of. A quality vinyl window will offer equal or better looks, and better performance, particularly air leakage.
    In CT, you should have access to the most highly regarded products: HiMark, Okna, Softlite, Sunrise, and Polaris are tops on performance.

• dmagalhaes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the responses. We like the look of the white vinyl windows. I also recently started looking at Harvey windows as well. I am not sure what my budget for Windows are because we are purchasing the house upon completion. But I do have the ability to upgrade from the jeld wen premium vinyl to whatever I would like.
    Where do all the other brands you guys have named fall in terms of price?

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

the vinyl windows that Homesealed listed should cost less than the Jeld Wens with basic options. you would have to talk to your general contractor about any price difference.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

I was thinking of the Jeld-wen wood windows when I commented on Homeseals recommendations. Expect to pay more than the Jeld-Wens but less than the Marvin's.
    To be fair to Jeld-Wen, they do have different products in different regions and i might not be familiar with the exact model you were looking at but on the other hand I have never seen a a Jeld-Wen vinyl that warrants the prefix premium.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

JeldWin vinyl windows are NOT premium. Harvey is more of a basic, mid range with not so good performance numbers.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Truth be it told NOTHING made by Jeldwen in windows and doors will ever be confused as either a premium or higher end product.

• dmagalhaes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To be clear, I was only calling the Jeld wen's premium because they have 2 lines listed on the site, builder vinyl and premium vinyl. That's what they called them so I was only referring to them by name. So don't shoot the messenger, lol.
    I have a few calls in to some okna dealers ( only 2 in CT that I could find online) but they seem to do mostly installs, not just sell the product for a new construction.
    Seems like my options may be a bit limited to lumber yard, and or big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes.
    Do you guys know of any dealers who just sell the new construction windows and will allow my GC to install them?
    I am really leaning to the okna windows, as long as they remain close to my budget.
    Thanks in advance guys
    This forum has been super informative!

This post was edited by dmagalhaes on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 19:41

• dmagalhaes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more thing, anyone have any information on Kass-Kell ecoshield windows. I think my GC's lumber yard carries these and their ratings are a bit better than the jeld-wen I think.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Get the test reports on them or figure out what the DP and Air Infiltration numbers are.

You can tell a bunch about the window and how it is built by the DP and air number.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

+1 to Windows on Washington's advice. The structural data tells quite a bit.

• dmagalhaes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the ecoshield have a series that have a dp50 rating as an upgrade, the ai rating from what I can see is .19 on most for residential

• dmagalhaes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have also found a local lumber yard that carries Ply Gem and Simonton windows, I have seen alot on here about simonton. How are their New Construction windows?

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Exactly the same as their replacement windows they just add a nailing fin.

• HomeSealed
    10 years ago

+1.
    Their upper lines are pretty good. Performance ratings are not upper echelon, but it is a solid window form a solid company in my experience... Very comparable to a Plygem Premium or something along those lines. Solid choice at the right price, just don't pay an A+ price for a B level choice.